British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-06-23, 02:26 PM

Default Unidentified Regimental Flash of 46th Division 1947

Dear Forum members, the soldier in this wedding photograph, taken in Leibnitz, Austria in 1947, has an unidentified regimental flash of what appears to be a white (or yellow) sword on a dark background located under the 46th Division oak-tree formation patch and his thin arm-of-service strip (three segments, the centre panel is lighter, which I assume must be REME) under which are his corporal chevrons.

The regimental shoulder title says DEVON. His trade badge on the lower arm (steering wheel superimposed by a crown) I take to be for a Driver Instructor.

I'm particularly interested to know if anyone can identify the regimental flash badge of the upright sword on the dark background please, but would also be appreciative of any corrections to my identification of his other sleeve badges.

Thank you, Lyndale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Briish Badge Forum - Soldier & Bride, Austria 1947.jpg (90.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 06-06-23, 04:07 PM

A similar question was asked recently

Rob

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ighlight=devon
Old 06-06-23, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndale View Post
Dear Forum members, the soldier in this wedding photograph, taken in Leibnitz, Austria in 1947, has an unidentified regimental flash of what appears to be a white (or yellow) sword on a dark background located under the 46th Division oak-tree formation patch and his thin arm-of-service strip (three segments, the centre panel is lighter, which I assume must be REME) under which are his corporal chevrons.

The regimental shoulder title says DEVON. His trade badge on the lower arm (steering wheel superimposed by a crown) I take to be for a Driver Instructor.

I'm particularly interested to know if anyone can identify the regimental flash badge of the upright sword on the dark background please, but would also be appreciative of any corrections to my identification of his other sleeve badges.

Thank you, Lyndale.
4th Bn Devon Regiment (a red sword and cap of maintenance on very dark green rectangle (John Waring 1/734))
Old 06-06-23, 09:49 PM

Smile Solved! 4th Bn. Devon's TA

Dear Rob, Mike & John, thank you so much for your expert knowledge and quick reply. I've looked everywhere in books and on the Net for this badge and started to wonder if it was unofficial.

I also soon found that the Devon's didn't belong to 46th Division, consequently, assuming I'm correct that the Arm-of-Service strip is REME, then this man must have been attached to 46th Division REME Workshops in his capacity as a qualified driving instructor.

I'd be most grateful if one of you would care to confirm that the strip is REME?

Cheers Lyndale
Old 06-06-23, 10:08 PM

Default Penny's dropped - there is no Arm-of-Service strip!

Dear Rob, Mike & John,

CANCELL my above posted question about a suggested REME Arm-of-Service strip, because I can now see that it's the cap of maintenance at the bottom of the badge!

All's well, again many thanks' guys, Lyndale
Old 07-06-23, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
4th Bn Devon Regiment (a red sword and cap of maintenance on very dark green rectangle (John Waring 1/734))
Some interesting variations in descriptions :

IWM
Quote:
A square of black material, printed with a red vertical sword. The handle of the sword is at the base of the badge and is over a red bowl.
C&T Auction
Quote:
RED SWORD AND ANVIL ON GREEN RECTANGLE.
But it definitely matches the Exeter regalia.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4th Battalion.jpg (85.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Exeter.jpg (62.2 KB, 11 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 07-06-23, 07:29 AM

Default 4th Devon's WWII Flash

Thank you, Mike, for your input on what the device at the base of the badge represents. Cheers Lyndale.
Old 07-06-23, 03:20 PM

Two further versions.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Devons 4th Gibraltar MJ.jpg (39.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Devons 4th Bn embd JC.jpg (75.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-06-23, 01:07 AM

Default More versions of 4th Devon's badge

Many thanks Jon,
This confirms that this battalion badge had two background colours, black and green, UNLESS...the green backed badge belongs to a different Devonshire Regiment battalion? Just a suggestion to explain why there are two different colours. However, I'm grateful to all respondents for solving my original enquiry. Cheers Lyndale
Old 08-06-23, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndale View Post
Many thanks Jon,
This confirms that this battalion badge had two background colours, black and green, UNLESS...the green backed badge belongs to a different Devonshire Regiment battalion? Just a suggestion to explain why there are two different colours. However, I'm grateful to all respondents for solving my original enquiry. Cheers Lyndale
While the IWM says "square of black material" their descriptions are not always accurate as they also describe the "cap of maintenance" as a "Bowl" !

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 08-06-23, 03:03 PM

The IWM records are full of mistakes!
Marc

Tags
1947, 46th inf. div., unit flash