British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-23, 09:11 AM

Default Observers and Navigators by WC Jeffrod, RAF Book Review

This an excellent book on a topic about which not much is written. Most books about "wings" merely describe the insignia(s) under study, without delving into "purpose" or development of how it was issued, how individuals were trained to its standards, or its placement in the organizational structure. W/C Jefford, RAF (Ret'd) does all this, and then some. While the main focus is on the evolution of the duties, training and status of the "Observer" and "Navigator" in the RAF, as well as its predecessors-RFC/RNAS, the author does expound quite a bit on the other flying brevets.

I highly recommend this book, especially the 2nd edition, to anyone interested in military aviation, the RAF and its corresponding organizational history and development. It is a well written work and worth reading.
Old 05-04-23, 06:04 AM

Hi tafh63,

Good to read some feedback on this book as I've often wondered whether I should take the plunge & purchase one to read. Sounds like I should for sure.

Best regards,
David
Old 29-05-23, 02:58 AM

I agree with tafh63. I have a copy of this book and it is extremely in-depth, detailed, well researched and easy to read.
Highly recommended