British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-17, 01:46 PM

Default WW1 unknown rank, could anybody tell me more?

Sorry if this is the wrong place. I have been searching through my family history and found a photo of my mother's great uncle.

Aside from him most likely being in the Suffolk regiment (judging by the badge and the photo being taken in Bury St Edmunds) I don't know anything. Could anybody here tell me more?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg William George Goody.jpg (55.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 23-08-17, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hello MatthewWilcock, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
The insignia on the sleeve include, from top to bottom, a good conduct chevron, over a wound stripe over what appears to be a qualification badge for Lewis Gunner.
Old 23-08-17, 03:10 PM

Private. Photo post July 1916, One GCB = 2 years possibly as long as 4 years and 364 days], LG skill-at-arms [qualified as a Number 1 on the gun].
The chevron material is one of a number of non-standard variants that were issued during the war ......... a bit of a mystery area.
Old 23-08-17, 05:18 PM

There is a badge or badges on the cuff of the right sleeve, possibly overseas stripes.

Marc
Old 24-08-17, 08:16 AM

Well spotted, and the only possible [and unlikely] rival would be the distance judging badge, which appears to have been trivialised as the war ground on ..... not suprisingly.
So this dates the photo into 1918 or later, perhaps a "survivor" souvenir before he handed the kit in.

Tags
suffolk regiment, ww1