British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-03-20, 05:58 PM

Default For ID: Oriental British-style police whistle

Good evening

I recently bought this British-style police whistle with Oriental markings, more out of curiosity than anything else. Can anyone help me translate the markings? Or at least determine if they are Japanese, Chinese, or from somewhere else? As always any help will be greatly appreciated.

Caveat: until I know where it is from I cannot say if I’ll keep or sell/swap it, but it is a possibility.

Thanks for looking

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 05-03-20, 08:36 PM

I believe that both the Chinese and the Japanese use the same basic script but that there are various elaborations and variations on both sides. i also seem to remember that both scripts have simplified versions of their alphabets.

I don't read either of the scripts but I would lean towards it being Chinese.
Old 06-03-20, 01:28 AM

It is Chinese and the first two characters from the right say that, although it could be from several areas in SE Asia, even Singapore with has a large Chinese contingent. Likely a police whistle of some sort.
It obviously has some age to it.
CB
Old 06-03-20, 02:13 AM

Hi I am bilingual and happy to help out with this.

It is indeed Chinese-made and the meaning of the text is as follows, please read from your right to left

中國泉珍廠製 (Zhong Guo Quan Zhen Chang Zhi) - Manufactured by the Chinese Quan Zhen* Factory

*or "Chüan Chen" if corresponding with the then-used Wade Giles pronunciation

註冊商標 (Zhu Ce Shang Biao) - Registered / Licensed Trademark

The text is written in Traditional Chinese, so it should date back to the then Republic of China era 1912 - 1949.

From the info and whistle with similar markings I gathered from Chinese sources, the Quan Zhen Factory of Guangdong (aka Canton) was one of the main producers for Chinese police whistles of that time. Aside from the deer (or Qilin as we sometimes call it) decoration, the tiger is also seen on the whistle. Some markings will also mention "Guangdong" on the whistle.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Exiazero; 06-03-20 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-03-20, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiazero View Post
Hi I am bilingual and happy to help out with this.

It is indeed Chinese-made and the meaning of the text is as follows, please read from your right to left

中國泉珍廠製 (Zhong Guo Quan Zhen Chang Zhi) - Manufactured by the Chinese Quan Zhen* Factory

*or "Chüan Chen" if corresponding with the then-used Wade Giles pronunciation

註冊商標 (Zhu Ce Shang Biao) - Registered / Licensed Trademark

The text is written in Traditional Chinese, so it should date back to the then Republic of China era 1912 - 1949.

From the info and whistle with similar markings I gathered from Chinese sources, the Quan Zhen Factory of Guangdong (aka Canton) was one of the main producers for Chinese police whistles of that time. Aside from the deer (or Qilin as we sometimes call it) decoration, the tiger is also seen on the whistle. Some markings will also mention "Guangdong" on the whistle.

Hope this helps
Hi Exiazero

That is brilliant, thank you for this, most helpful.

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 06-03-20, 07:10 AM

High Wood and CB

Thank you for your comments, greatly appreciated.

All the best

Graham