British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-04-16, 06:18 PM

Default Long Sliders Thread

Not sure what kind of interest members might have in the following, but thought I'd post a few badges which bear the long slider. The general ball park figure seems to be around the 45mm mark, but I would be interested in seeing all/any other examples.

Members KLR, and Ticker Riley, (among others) have submitted a number of very interesting posts on the subject, so I thought it might be an idea perhaps to organise a thread which could potentially encompass the subject in one place, rather than have a number of separate and ongoing threads with no clear connection. Just an idea.

This first example is a little curious - not quite sure what to make of it. A Royal Army Service Corps badge, with a 48mm slider, and which looks to be a die cast OSD... perhaps someone can correct or confirm that.

Regards,

JT

Old 06-04-16, 06:35 PM

Default Leicestershire

This next badge has been discussed previously - a lovely Leicestershire Regiment example (45mm slider):

Old 06-04-16, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

An interesting RASC badge as it is clearly not 1903-06 or a Brodrick badge but could be bespoke for something else. A FSH (Pagri) remains a likely contender.
Old 06-04-16, 07:10 PM

I have these two KLR badges with long sliders.
The 8th Lpool Irish is WW2 period at 45mm longer and thinner than what you usually come across but I think more suitable for the Caubeen.
The other is the unofficial Indian Service badge which is mm'd Gaunt and is 47mm
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-04-16, 07:11 PM

Rear of badges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-04-16, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
An interesting RASC badge as it is clearly not 1903-06 or a Brodrick badge but could be bespoke for something else. A FSH (Pagri) remains a likely contender.
I'd agree, Alan. Long ol' slider, that.

A slight tangent... Rob raised an interesting thread here on slidered officers' badges.

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 06-04-16 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-04-16, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
I have these two KLR badges with long sliders.
The 8th Lpool Irish is WW2 period at 45mm longer and thinner than what you usually come across but I think more suitable for the Caubeen.
The other is the unofficial Indian Service badge which is mm'd Gaunt and is 47mm
Paul
Nice examples, Paul. When does the KLR date from/to?
Old 06-04-16, 07:27 PM

I think it may be as early as 1898ish through up until probably 1920, the KLR seemed to rotate the 2 Regular Bn's with India Service.
Paul
Old 06-04-16, 07:28 PM

Default Long slidered badges

Not my field, I've shown this before, as far as the paint job goes? I've no idea. Slider is 50mm long. Regards, David J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long slidered RASC badge GR1V.jpg (80.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Long slidered RASC badge GR1V rear.jpg (86.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-04-16, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Not my field, I've shown this before, as far as the paint job goes? I've no idea. Slider is 50mm long. Regards, David J.
Nice one David. Is it a regular RASC badge in all other respects barring the paintwork and slider... not theatre-made?
Old 06-04-16, 08:42 PM

Default KRRC

This KRRC (KK2011) has the 11mm, 'J R Gaunt London' mark (no full stop). Non-voided crown and centre, with a 46mm slider:

Old 06-04-16, 10:09 PM

Default long Sliders

Hello Je Te, My RASC long slidered badge is definitely die struck so I believe it to be "proper". I always thought that "Theatre Made" were all cast. Looking at it again, I'm wondering why as a non voided example they bothered to void the crown arches? Thank you for your interest, David J.
Old 06-04-16, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Hello Je Te, My RASC long slidered badge is definitely die struck so I believe it to be "proper". I always thought that "Theatre Made" were all cast. Looking at it again, I'm wondering why as a non voided example they bothered to void the crown arches? Thank you for your interest, David J.
Artynut, what you have there is a pugri badge which should be slightly larger than the regular RASC cap badge. These were the only non-voided G6 RASC badges made. I have seen a couple of "bronzed up" ones like yours many moons ago. A very nice badge.
Old 06-04-16, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Agreed, David, it's just that I couldn't quite see the back of your badge too clearly, so wasn't sure how it was manufactured. The fact too that it is non-voided made me wonder, but Hoot has kindly cleared that up.

Great stuff, chaps.
Old 07-04-16, 02:47 AM

Now I'm worried! What do I really have? Hoot says that my long slidered badge should be slightly larger? Well mine isn't! Tip of crown orb to tip of lower star = 42mm. Same as my ASC, GvR RASC and two types of V1 (VI between upper parts of G & R and the other has the VI between the centres of the G & R) RASC. Excepting the lugged ASC Sliders on these are all 38mm. Regards, David J.

Tags
long slider, pagri, puggaree