British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-14, 01:16 PM

Hi Ocad,
Yes that is a blackened SAAF badge but not necessarily for an officer. All UDF personnel got an issue of blackened badges.
These were first issued in the mid to late 1930's and stopped been worn post WWII (except maybe for certain Artillery units).
The UDF issue of badges can be likened to that of the Australians and not the UK (who used darkened/OSD badges exclusive to officers)

Steven
Old 21-07-14, 05:57 PM

Interesting, how come some crowns are void and others not? Was that due to the makers preference?

Here is a close up of the aforementioned badge. It comes from an O/Rs hat.

Olivier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAF hat_4.jpg (108.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Ocad; 21-07-14 at 06:02 PM.
Old 21-07-14, 08:45 PM

Oliver

An interesting observation I have not noticed the voided crown before! I have a few examples but have never been a collecting field. Guess what I will be looking tomorrow when I get home? I will have a look at the WAAF badge as well.

I would presume that it was just a different maker and not nessesary for officers.

Regards
Brian
Old 22-07-14, 04:56 AM

Hi,
I would also put the voiding down to manufacturer and possibly economy. The WAAF and more economically produced badges appear to be unvoided, wheareas the earlier 1920's/30's manufactured badges are voided. I would think with the rapid expanse of the SAAF during WWII and urgent need for badges, and reduction in costs would result in non-voiding.

Just my opinions
Steven
Old 22-07-14, 07:56 AM

That make sense Steven, that the non-voided badges possibly being an economy measure. The example I posted is from a British made Officer's cap which would support this theory.
Old 15-01-15, 03:36 AM

The 1923 regs had sky blue cap bands for air force on the dark blue forage caps but not on service dress caps. In WW2 aircrew under training also wore coloured cap bands or as a coloured wedge in the front of f/s cap. Light blue and white cap bands/wedges were worn in different phases of training. It could be that this chap put a piece of helmet flash or training cap band behind the badge unofficially or it could perhaps have been worn at the same time as a blue wedge which is now missing? In the 1950s sky blue cap bands were introduced for colonels and higher ranks fir wear with blue grey service dress.

Tags
cap, cap badge, saaf, ww2