British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-20, 10:37 AM

Default SD diver badge

Good afternoon,

could you help to identify precisely this US badge ?

Thank you

Laurent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (31.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-09-20, 03:41 PM

Default SD Diver badge

Hi, I believe it is for Salvage Diver. I have several of these in my collection marked with (2) which I believe is Second Class Diver, (M) Master Diver, (SD) Salvage Diver and and a plain one with no designation which I don't know what it represents, I think there is also (UDT) for Underwater Demolition Team. I believe these badges are no longer worn in the US Navy.

Regards

Tony
Old 06-09-20, 06:27 PM

Scuba Diver, for wear on the whites

A helmet with no numbers or letters would be pre-1944. In that year marks were added for Diver 2nd Class (2) and Salvage Diver (S), necesitating a mark for Diver 1st Class (1). Master Diver (M) was, I believe, previously established. Later marks added would be Deep Water (D) and Scuba Diver (SD). All were gradually made obsolete from the early 70s.
Old 06-09-20, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfant perdus View Post
Scuba Diver, for wear on the whites

A helmet with no numbers or letters would be pre-1944. In that year marks were added for Diver 2nd Class (2) and Salvage Diver (S), necessitating a mark for Diver 1st Class (1). Master Diver (M) was, I believe, previously established. Later marks added would be Deep Water (D) and Scuba Diver (SD). All were gradually made obsolete from the early 70s.
Interesting! Always great to learn more! US diving insignia can be confusing, the current USN diving insignia of metal badges or woven examples of them, worn on the chest have no numerical or letter designation on the badge which consists of a US Navy mark 5 diving helmet with a sea horse either side, with Master Diver being represented by a reef knot and Diver Medical Technician by a caduceus (the badge being in white metal for ratings and yellow metal for officers) First class diver is a helmet with dolphins either side but no symbol on the helmet and second class diver just a plain helmet. Scuba Diver is represented by a divers head wearing an oval face mask and twin hose regulator in white metal (the same device is used by US Air Force divers in chrome and by US Coast Guard in gold). The designation "S" in the US forces is used for Salvage Diver on a diving helmet by the US Army only. Good to learn of the earlier use of diving insignia by the USN though! Everyday is a school day as they say!

Last edited by sailorbear; 07-09-20 at 07:20 AM.
Old 13-09-20, 10:50 AM

Thank you for this very precise identification

LAURENT