British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-06-20, 04:27 PM

Default Patch help

Hi, I am after a little assistance with the below item, what is peoples thoughts on it? I am just starting on formation patches now that my main area is getting a little too pricey ( was the liverpool Pals), so any pointers would be appreciated.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133448172007.
I believe from another thread he is the son of a long established seller
Thanks Gary
Old 30-06-20, 06:20 PM

Perfectly good example of a small TA/AER unit of the 1950s.

Some background below from my book Badges on Battle Dress.

Jon

Meeting on Armistice Day 1954 the Army Council discussed a suggestion that, ‘in the very likely event of extensive damage to major ports…by thermo-nuclear attack’, the Army should form several Port Task Forces (PTF) to operate small alternative ports in South Wales, southern England and Europe. A PTF working party looked first at the TA’s 264th Beach Brigade, created to preserve the ‘over the beaches maintenance role’ developed in wartime and assist in the working of damaged ports and small harbours. Although the Brigade could form the basis of the PTFs it would require additional personnel who might be found from AA Command supporting units and the conversion of existing reserve units. In February 1956 the Council accepted a recommendation to create four Port Task Forces, three for Britain and one for Europe. Expected to handle 2,000 tons of stores and 300 vehicles daily, each would comprise a Port Regiment of three Port Operating Squadrons, a Crane Operating Squadron and a pioneer group. Their role and organization were outlined in a June 1956 Army Council letter and detailed orbats published in May 1957. Whilst 3rd PTF was based around Liverpool and 4th (Scottish) PTF recruited in Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock , 1st and 2nd Port Task Forces’ units were scattered from Gateshead to Wolverhampton .
Old 30-06-20, 06:38 PM

Jon
Thank you very much for your help,
Gary
Old 30-06-20, 09:58 PM

A real appeal to me is that it looks to have been worn and I strive for that with my patches. Better than one just seeing action on the QM's shelf. Good luck!

Terry
Old 01-07-20, 02:16 PM

Hi Terry,
Thats the appeal to me as well. A quick question when people point out the 'spaghetti' on the rear as a sign of fakes, what exactly are we trying to describe? Is it that the rear of the patch is messy ( should the rear be nice and even like the patch above?). But then not all are even on the rear
Thanks Gary
Old 17-07-20, 03:04 AM

Gary, that's a really good question. I wish I had a picture of one to show as that would beat any description. However at present I don't.

From my experience the fakes that you are asking about have heavy masses of threads from doing the lettering or design. They also usually seem to be very new, bright and clean looking instead of like a nicely aged patch. I personally like one that has been worn or RFU (Removed From Uniform)

That said, I have, and have seen some real patches that have a few threads on the back, but not usually masses of them.

My advise is unless you know something is 100% on Ebay, it may not be worth a chance. I prefer to buy from reputable dealers that I've done business with, or members here. I also recommend looking at as many pictures as you can of patches and trying to learn all the little details. Also, if you get a bum one and can't return it don't toss it but start a box of fakes for reference - never know when it might come in handy.

Good luck!!!

Terry
Old 17-07-20, 09:38 PM

Terry,
Thank you for the info...I might stick for a bit to the patch auction that's linked through the forum, just till I get my eye tuned to it,
Thanks Gary
Old 17-07-20, 11:29 PM

Gary, I understand wanting to start slow and try to build a good understanding. Can you define your collecting theme a little better or is any formation patch from any time period?

Terry
Old 18-07-20, 07:30 AM

Hi Terry,
I only moved in to the patches as Liverpool Pals is just becoming too much money to get it regularly, so I really haven't an area Im looking at. I bought some Far East and Korea ones from a forum member so I think might start there.
It was the graphic side of the patches coupled with the relatively modest price of some that brought me to them
Gary
Old 24-07-20, 03:29 AM

Gary, this thread shows some good examples of the terrible Pakistani made patches. If you see this kind of mess on the back of a patch, steer clear!!!!

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=79925

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 02-08-20 at 02:37 AM.
Old 24-07-20, 12:52 PM

Thanks Terry