British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-09, 03:47 PM
Badge Guru

Default Swagger Sticks - Any collectors here?

I remember when antique fairs used to full of these, now I dont see any. There must some rather nice collections out there.

Does anyone else on the forum collect regimental sticks?
Old 10-01-09, 07:42 PM

JJ,
I have a few to the Kings,the problem to me is how to dispay a collection of swagger sticks- anyone any suggestions ?

I put mine in a large shell case which I use as a walking stick/umbrella holder.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 10-01-09, 09:53 PM

Default Mounting

P.B. I mounted RMLI & RMA ones using stiff brass wire (electrical cable earth), twisted round the stick top and bottom then through holes drilled in the backboard with the wire tightly spread out to twist around some lossened screw heads. This held the stick in place and helped straighten them. If displaying with badges of the same regiment you could use the swagger sticks to separate eras, types of rank etc - or simply to bring variety and life into the display as I did on the drumsticks of my RMB display I posted. Also as I did with the drumsticks you can mount badges on card sited over areas of the swagger stick to hide fixings and not lose too much space. All of this only works if the badge is to the front of the swagger stick and not on the top of it! -- Ray
Old 11-01-09, 05:06 AM

I have a few that I picked up in my early, less focused days. They're very nice and have a strong appeal, but I can't imagine I'll ever have the time or funds to assemble more than a paltry collection.

I've been on the fence for a few years about whether or not to keep them. I often have the feeling, reinforced since I joined this forum, that they might be best off in the collection of those who focus on certain Regiments.
Old 11-01-09, 10:30 AM
Badge Guru

It does really seam to be an area neglected on the internet. There are some really rare sticks around including those to small CEF units and as they are private purchase they are in theory rarer than cap badges!

What I like so much about these sticks is the scope, since they were used used from the 1800's up until the present day. One can form a regimental collection.

P.B. A nice fan display. One small nail to hold the end of the stick, then another at the other end with a small loop of thread attached to that nail.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 11-01-09 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-01-09, 04:58 AM

Default swagger sticks

I have two cup hooks for each of my sticks, screwed into the ceiling beams of my basement "Rec-Room". You could do the same thing mounting them horizontally on a wall panel. Easy to slide out or take down to show or dust! David J.
Old 12-01-09, 06:54 PM

By coincidence, a selection has just been posted on eBay. Some nice examples and a few (I assume) scarcer types such as the 21st and 25th Londons.

I will resist temptation and wish you all good hunting
Old 29-01-09, 10:49 AM

Default Swagger Stick South Africa

Hi everybody,

Firstly I would like to applaud all of you on a very informative and interesting forum. Since I started collecting about 2 years ago (as apposed to hording which I started about 30 years ago) I have registered on a number of forums and web pages, but this is defiantly the most active, informative and interesting and that is thanks to all of you members (give yourselves a pat on the back). Now my question: I have read the information on this thread on the “swagger stick” in the UK Army. But I have now found one used in the South African DF (Army). It is cane about 70 cm long with a brass tip (not shell casing) and a flattened ball type brass top with the SA CoA on it. Can anyone give me more info on this and possible value?

Neville Kemp
Old 29-01-09, 03:07 PM

Default Mounting swagger sticks

In the museum/conservation field we usually advise that if you're going to use wire to mount anything you should cushion the part that actually makes contact with the artifact with something like the kind of plastic tubing used for an IV tube. I believe you can get it from a medical suppliers. I think it's made of polyester or polypropylene; vinyl isn't good because of the plasticizers it contains and has a tendency to yellow and ooze out the plasticizers over time and become sticky. Just slide the wire through the tube. The idea is to prevent the wire from rubbing on the surface of the artifact (i.e. the wood of a swagger stick, metal of a bugle, bayonet or whatever) and causing abrasion. Also if you mix two different metals together you can get galvanic corrosion. Hope this helps. David
Old 29-01-09, 03:10 PM

I have about 10+ Sgt Majors sticks and use a large shell case, however I am planning to get a cheap snooker cue rack to mount them in properly.

Tom
Old 30-01-09, 11:00 AM
Badge Guru

Does anyone have a staff of office in their collection? You can identify them by the diameter of the cane and size of the end. Normally the end is about three to four times larger than a warrant officers cane.
Old 31-01-09, 04:36 PM

Default Church Lads Brigade Swagger Sticks

1.London Diocesan CLB Cadets - cane of niglere or nighlere or nihglere - sorry cannot remember spelling - can anyone explain meaning?
2.CLB Cane - early Cadet days.
3.CLB Cane
4.Kings Royal Rifle Corps CLB Cadets -CLB affiliated to KRRC 1917 to 1930.
5.CLB Training Corps.
6.CLB Junior Training Corps.
7.CGB Church Girls Brigade.
There are several other types. I even have a CLB Officer's Sword - George V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canes.jpg (58.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 31-01-09, 06:41 PM
Badge Guru

Nice collection. The only CLB item I have now is a side hat with the Junior traning corps badge on.
Old 31-01-09, 06:56 PM

Default Militia sticks

I have a few Jersey ones, the last one I was bidding on was a Guernsey Light Infantry which sold on ebay for £380 !!! A bit more than I was willing to pay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rjlistick.jpg (10.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg rjmstick1.jpg (9.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg rjmstick2.jpg (12.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg rmijstick.jpg (10.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg rmijstick2.jpg (15.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by jermil; 31-01-09 at 07:02 PM.
Old 31-01-09, 06:58 PM

Default Guernsey sticks

Some RGLI ones
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rgmstick4.jpg (8.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg rgmstick2.jpg (10.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg rgmstick3.jpg (5.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg rgmstickqvc.jpg (15.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg rgmstick1.jpg (10.3 KB, 4 views)