British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-03-14, 08:49 AM

Default SA Tank Corps

Gentlemen,
Anyone got any thoughts on the SATC, they provided both moter cycle and armoured car companies and did well in Somalia and Abyssinia in 1940-41, although, the badge here is a later example and was not worn at this point in time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020423.jpg (54.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 04-03-14, 10:06 AM

Hi Frank,

my own little SATC collection:

SA Tank Corps 004.jpg
The early non voided version

SA Tank Corps 002.jpg
Same as yours but with blackened collars
SA Tank Corps 009.jpg
Titles, and its not the SA Trades Company Mr Owen!
SA Tank Corps 005.jpg
Sweetheart badge, a little worn

I would love to get hold of a SA Armoured car Regt badge "IV" (O1478)

regards, Iain
Old 04-03-14, 10:09 AM

LOL!

[QUOTE=iaindh;2527
Attachment 101442
Titles, and its not the SA Trades Company Mr Owen!
Old 04-03-14, 10:12 AM

Hello Iain,
The little 1V, in silver, is superb and actually quite rare, I would think hard to find these days in South Africa.
Regards Frank
Old 04-03-14, 11:14 AM

I've never actually seen one for sale Frank
Old 04-03-14, 01:48 PM

Frank,

I dont know if you've seen this before, it has been posted previously on the Forum?

sa brigades in italy (476 x 595).jpg

regards, Iain
Old 04-03-14, 01:54 PM

Hello Iain,
No, I have not, what is it, at first glance, I was thinking a piece of silk, explain please!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Frank,

I dont know if you've seen this before, it has been posted previously on the Forum?

Attachment 101480

regards, Iain
Old 04-03-14, 02:31 PM

Hi Frank,

it's a scan, made up of lots of tiny pixels.

I have actually no idea what the original was made of, perhaps silk? Maybe someone else knows.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Iain,
No, I have not, what is it, at first glance, I was thinking a piece of silk, explain please!
Regards Frank
Old 04-03-14, 06:40 PM

Iain/Frank

Those maps were produced to raise funds I believe for the Warriors Gate building fund in Durban? Bought mine for 20c when I was about 10! My dad framed it and I still have it today, it has most of the badges worn by the 6th Div. surrounding a map of Italy showing their advance. They still pop up from time to time. I like they way the SA Artillery badge gets centre stage

Yes, the IV badges are hard to find, I have one but most of the silver wash has come off so basically a brass version. I do believe they were "made in the field".

Iain, are those SATC Titles fire gilt, I picked up a pair just like them last year in Jhb. Yes definately not WW1, I get quite upset when they are sold as such, it you see the SAAF WW2 straight titles they are the same pattern, possibly made by the same company.

Frank there are numerous versions of the SATC Cap badge, some nice others like the cast versions a bit rough but all genuine as they are not scarce (well not yet).

I am attaching 2 pics of another version, along the same lines. These relate to the 7/23 Regt SAA and even rarer, only seen 3 and heard of another 2 in the US.

Frank Visited our mutual friend in Kloof today, he is looking very well. Tried to get him to join up here, he is thinking about it

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAA 7 23 ONE.jpg (66.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg SAA 7 23 two.jpg (67.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 04-03-14 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Add pics and info
Old 04-03-14, 08:36 PM

Hello Brian,
I thought it looked screen printed onto a piece of silk, very nice, in particular for 20 cents!
The 4th Armoured Car Regiment did well during it's time with the 7th Armoured Division, I have always felt that their little badges were actually quite scarce and well worth having examples of.
With the titles, that is just typical of Colin to get it so wrong, laughable really, Iain, this is why I don't use that "book"
I like the early SATC badges that are struck out of a rather thin brass with the shaped lugs formed by just bending the edge of the badges and putting a hole in both!
I'm getting into the Abyssinia campaign at the moment, so you see why I like those early badges, though, the later examples are nice too, a great motto "Ons is" that is, I think, "We're It"
I like Mr H, he wrote to me again only yesterday, Iain, you did not go and see him!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Iain/Frank

Those maps were produced to raise funds I believe for the Warriors gate in Durban, bought mine for 20c when I was about 10! My dad framed it and I still have it today, it has most of the badges worn by the 6th Div. surrounding a map of Italy showing their advance. They still pop up from time to time. I like they way the SA Artillery badge gets centre stage

Yes, the IV badges are hard to find, I have one but most of the silver wash has come off so basically a brass version. I do believe they were "made in the field".

Iain, are those SATC Titles fire gilt, I picked up a pair just like them last year in Jhb. Yes definately not WW1, I get quite upset when they are sold as such, it you see the SAAF WW2 straight titles they are the same pattern, possibly made by the same company.

Frank there are numerous versions of the SATC Cap badge, some nice others like the cast versions a bit rough but all genuine as they are not scarce (well not yet).

Frank Visited our mutual friend in Kloof today, he is looking very well. Tried to get him to join up here, he is thinking about it

Brian

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 04-03-14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-03-14, 04:28 AM

Frank

Do you have the book "Springboks in Armour" by Harry Klein, a nice reference work.

Their motto "Ons Is" is "We Are"...I believe in their case meaning; "We Are" the best?

Brian

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 05-03-14 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-03-14, 05:10 AM

Hi Brian,
The SATC s/t that Iain showed is not fire gilt but unissued gilding metal. I have an identical set. These appeared on the market in the past couple of years selling on our local auction site. I think I picked up my set for around R20. This was when there were many to be found and looked like no-one was buying. I believe they were manufactured in the UK, delivered to SA and never issued. I have never seen a picture of the SATC personal wearing this title or for that matter any picture showing the title!

You mention an identical SAAF title. Would it be possible to post a picture as I have not seen a SAAF title similar to the SATC title.

There was of course single s/t worn in early stages of WWII. These were all cast brass with 'lugs' similar to those on East African made badges, so I assume they were made in East Africa. They are all about 50mm x 10mm and I have seen the following of this type: SAAF, SAMC, SAEC, SATC, SACS, SAHA.

Steven
Old 05-03-14, 05:43 AM

Brian,

the SATC titles appear to be fire gilt.
I do like the Italy map showing all the SA Units involved. Will Endley had one mounted on his wall and he had added the patches and badges (as I recall,) of all the different units; it was quite impressive.
I'm sure 20c was actually worth something when you bought your one.

Frank,

I just ran out of time unfortunately. I had hoped to meet him.
I've never read up on the Abyssinian campaign but always intended too. I've come across bits in other books. There is a book in the "South Africans at war" series, "The war of one hundred days."

regards, Iain

Last edited by iaindh; 05-03-14 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-03-14, 07:17 AM

Today's version of the Tank Regt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 SA Tank Regt.jpg (106.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-03-14, 08:00 AM

Hi Dudley,

Hmmm... maybe you get used to it? Not sure I like the tank being offset or the motto.

regards, Iain