British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-10-13, 12:23 PM

Default Scottish Horse - The Home Years 1903-1914

After the South African war, the South African raised Scottish Horse was disbanded (Barlow & Smith, 1985) and a new regiment was formed in Scotland in March 1903. The recruiting areas were: Perthshire; Argyllshire, Aberdeenshire, Elgin and Nairn.

Uniform, First seen in public in May 1903.

Headress: (1) Slouch Hat with Pagri and cocks feathers. All guilding metal badge worn on a rectangular patch of Atholl tartan. (2) Atholl bonnet worn for undress with the white metal badge.

Collars: The OR's wore the same khaki serge frock for full dress and undress, so wore the same collars (guilding metal).

Reference: Barlow, L., Smith, R.J., 1985, The Uniforms of the British yeomanry Force 1794-1914, 8: Lovat Scouts and Scottish Horse, Tunbridge Wells: Robert Ogilby Trust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scottish Horse1.jpg (69.2 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg Scottish Horse2.jpg (72.5 KB, 223 views)
Old 05-10-13, 03:05 PM

The original Scottish Horse was a class C SAMIF unit, its members came from across the empire, moreover, it was, for official purposes, disbanded in Johannesburg on the 7th of July 1902.
You have some good badges there!
Old 14-01-18, 02:37 PM

My sister kindly sent me a couple of Scottish Horse pictures of Alexander Horn (last man, short stocky no Imperial service badge) a distant relative from Fyvies in Aberdeenshire (this being earliest picture).
The picture which shows the uniform Rockape discusses above being worn. I believe this was take at their annual Summer camp at Blair Atholl.

I believe Alexander Horn was in F Sqn 2nd Scottish Horse.

Unsure of the year. but I would be interested to find out the belt colours.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1491386882766279761787 (1).jpg (66.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 14-01-18, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Pre war in those uniforms. Slouch hats were derigeur for the VB and some were still in use in 1908 but they did not last into the war years in that order of dress.
Old 14-01-18, 09:12 PM

The picture looks very similar in style to the one in the afore mentioned Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force on page 21. The uniforms look identical and the picture is captioned - “Church parade, c 1912. These O.R.s wear the Atholl Grey Full Dress introduced in 1908.” A skim through the pamphlet appears not to mention the belt colours however the colour picture on the rear shows them to be yellow and the drab grey as per the uniform. Not sure if the slouch has the Murray Atholl tartan folds as well as the yellow. Apparently the yellow comes from the base colour of the Scottish standard.

Bryan
Old 14-01-18, 09:22 PM

Found on page 25 for Other Ranks’ Full Dress 1908 - 1914; “A yellow web Lancer girdle with two grey stripes was worn.” I take it that is the belt?

Bryan
Old 15-01-18, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Maybe I've erred here. I thought the badge came into use in 1914 but it appears it may have been as early as 1908. So, sometime between 1908 and...
You will get the right date eventually.

It was introduced in 1912.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 21-04-19, 05:55 PM

Middle row, far left in the first photograph appears to be KK1388 in volume one, did Gaunt ever make these badges, or, are examples marked (plate) as such, always spurious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
After the South African war, the South African raised Scottish Horse was disbanded (Barlow & Smith, 1985) and a new regiment was formed in Scotland in March 1903. The recruiting areas were: Perthshire; Argyllshire, Aberdeenshire, Elgin and Nairn.

Uniform, First seen in public in May 1903.

Headress: (1) Slouch Hat with Pagri and cocks feathers. All guilding metal badge worn on a rectangular patch of Atholl tartan. (2) Atholl bonnet worn for undress with the white metal badge.

Collars: The OR's wore the same khaki serge frock for full dress and undress, so wore the same collars (guilding metal).

Reference: Barlow, L., Smith, R.J., 1985, The Uniforms of the British yeomanry Force 1794-1914, 8: Lovat Scouts and Scottish Horse, Tunbridge Wells: Robert Ogilby Trust.
Old 22-04-19, 06:37 AM

To confirm, middle row left is 50mm x 32mm (KK 1388). This one does have a Gaunt Montreal plate at the rear of the crown. I suppose I assumed that it was cheaper to have them made in Canada but never really put much thought into the maker mark.
Old 22-04-19, 06:40 AM

How strange, I have never seen or heard of that before, the reason I ask the question is simply because there seem to be far too many of this pattern around at the moment, some that appear as obvious fakes and are sold as such and then others offered at a nowhere sort of price.

Quote:
To confirm, middle row left is 50mm x 32mm (KK 1388). This one does have a Gaunt Montreal plate at the rear of the crown. I suppose I assumed that it was cheaper to have them made in Canada but never really put much thought into the maker mark.
Old 22-04-19, 06:59 AM

Found this in another thread, the timeline appears to be correct. Of interest is
"J R Gaunt & Son LTD Montreal Made in England (c.1901-c.1939?)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hello Griff.
Here's a short history;from Diana's Buttons website.

GAUNT
J R Gaunt & Son Birmingham (1870-1973)
J R Gaunt & Sons London (1884-1899, but also used well after this date)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD London (1899-1991)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD London ENG (1899-1991)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD London ENGLD (1899-1991)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD London England (1899-1991)
J R Gaunt & Sons LTD NY & London (after 1900)
J R Gaunt & Sons Montreal (dates ?)
J R Gaunt & Son LTD Montreal Made in England (c.1901-c.1939?)
J R Gaunt & Son LTD Montreal (c.1914-c.1939)

J R Gaunt & Sons LTD Late Jennens London (1940-1948)
Gaunt London (1950's/60's on)
Gaunt London Eng (1950's/60's on)
J R Gaunt & Sons purchased by Firmin and Sons, Ltd.(1991)

NB.The Montreal branch office was in business from 1908 to 1984.
Old 23-04-19, 05:19 PM

Quote:
You see these and collars in GM and WM with good Gaunt London plates Frank. Also in bronze and gilt with die cast backs and Gaunt London stamped into the reverse.

These have however been re-struck from the original Gaunt die. The badge with blue background is a eBay fake/restrike seller so they’re being made to this day. Notice all have the flaw on the first T of SCOTTISH and then a second larger flaw has developed later by the second T near where it meets the cross.
Old 11-01-20, 01:20 PM

Default SCOTTISH HORSE YEOMANRY FAKES

Hi, as I read previous posts about fake / retrike badges, could these ones be fake (same dice / tool problem seen on ebay on last message about Scottish Horse yeomanry) ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCOTTISH HORSE 001.jpg (55.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SCOTTISH HORSE 002.jpg (51.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-07-20, 08:48 AM

I'd forgotten about this thread, okay, so the badge with the blue background and the second flaw, next to the cross, is spurious, but, the others are original?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
You see these and collars in GM and WM with good Gaunt London plates Frank. Also in bronze and gilt with die cast backs and Gaunt London stamped into the reverse.

These have however been re-struck from the original Gaunt die. The badge with blue background is a eBay fake/restrike seller so they’re being made to this day. Notice all have the flaw on the first T of SCOTTISH and then a second larger flaw has developed later by the second T near where it meets the cross.
Old 03-07-20, 06:39 PM

Also, does the badge on the blue background have a plate to it's reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post