British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Officer Training and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-05-14, 07:09 PM

Default Air Cadet metal pilot wings

Hi! I would like to know if the current issue Air Cadet wings (either glider or power) have the "strip" where it is written CADET in blue or in green. I have seen both colors on EBay, and was wondering if that had occurred when the tunics had changed to blue sometime in the 90's, or if the one with the blue strip are just in fact an unofficial product.

Thanks!
Old 21-05-14, 03:38 AM

The metal wings, when the first came out in the 80’s (or maybe late 70’s I shall have to do some researching to get the dates correct) the space around the ‘cadet’ was green, to match the green cadet uniforms. When the uniform switched to the blue, the metal wings were not changed. I had heard at some point around 2009 or so the blue wings showed up and were being issued to the Ontario cadet region but WERE NOT AUTHORIZED to be issued throughout the air cadet organization. I have attempted to look up the postings on the cadet-world.com forms that were discussing this a while back but I unfortunately cannot find it =/
I shall endeavor to keep you informed with what information I can find.
Old 21-05-14, 11:41 AM

Default wings

Thank you. Please keep me updated, as this would be much appreciated.

I have so far gathered every type of Canadian air cadet wing... except for the King's Crown model. (and the "blue" metal wings, should they be official issue items.)

I was also wondering if the passenger carrying badges are official issue items (the octagon showing the profile of a glider with a I or a II below)

I am also missing the recent fabric wedge badge...
Old 21-05-14, 12:58 PM

I don't think that the metal wings were official issue - at least not in my day. I think they had to be purchased from Air Cadet League Headquarters in Ottawa. That is where I got mine.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 26-06-14, 02:47 AM

Default Metal wings

Thanks for the heads-up, Phillip. I contacted the Air Cadet league (as I am still located in Ottawa... only for a short while, still...) and bought a Glider and Power metal wings. They came with the blue surround around the "CADET" word.

Anybody can help me locate a blue glider cloth wing and the two glider passenger-carrying octagon badges?

Thanks,

Fred.

I have also located a gold bullion padded glider air cadet wing: would anybody know if this is a correct wing or not, or from what era it would be? (picture to come)

Last edited by CFMartin; 26-06-14 at 08:36 PM.