British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-14, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Had a look at my sword. Above the thumb indent on the lip of the bowl a number of three digit numbers scored out and in two places a small 7 H. So I guess that's 7th Hussars. Sword is a July 1915 Wilkinson P08. Regards, Paul.
The P08 is obviously "1908 Pattern" and 7H will be 7th Hussars.

I have to say that I've considered this issue of marking weapons over the past couple of days and I've got to admit that I've made all my comments on the basis of what I can remember. My military service ended in October 1986 so it's quite possible I have simply forgotten the markings which were on the swords I handled.

Therefore I want to say quite clearly that I am not adamant about markings not appearing. The only thing I can say with reasonable certainty is that there could well have been a difference between units regarding marking weapons with the regiment's numerical designation.

Thinking about it logically it makes perfect sense that they should be marked.
Old 25-05-14, 06:27 PM

Default Good stuff

It was a view that we all discussed as gentlemen I thought it was all good input and always welcome alterative views. So many other sites break down into full blown rants
Mac
Old 25-05-14, 06:34 PM

Hello Mac

See PM

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 25-05-14, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac mcconnell View Post
It was a view that we all discussed as gentlemen I thought it was all good input and always welcome alterative views. So many other sites break down into full blown rants
Mac

Mac, it's very nice of you to make that comment. I find the colour of the discussion you've just seen is pretty normal for this site and it pleases me to be a member as a result. I've learned a lot here and when I do make errors, which is often, the way I'm corrected is always polite and easy to accept.

That's all because the membership here joins to share knowledge and to gain more.

You will find the odd hissy fit or a bit of "handbags at dawn" but because the site is so well moderated it doesn't last for long.

This is probably the best site I'm a member of. I've cut my membership down to just two or three sites now because I can't stand poorly moderated ones where ignorance and rudeness are the order of the day. I've even left Arsse! I just couldn't take their rubbish anymore and the moderators were often more rude than the membership. I suppose that's an indication that I'm too old to take it anymore. It's got to be my fault because their people said so.
Old 25-05-14, 07:22 PM

Default I agree

Ive only been a member a week and so many people are offering help and meetings its very refreshing the world of military modelling is quiet different and very bitter some times almost snobbish depending on ones skill level.
Yet here you cant but admire some of these collections and knowledge.

Mac
Old 26-05-14, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac mcconnell View Post
Ive only been a member a week and so many people are offering help and meetings its very refreshing the world of military modelling is quiet different and very bitter some times almost snobbish depending on ones skill level.
Yet here you cant but admire some of these collections and knowledge.

Mac
If you don't mind me giving you a tip Mac? One of the ways to keep the atmosphere here is to remember this if you ever are at cross purposes with someone else. Stay calm and polite - which I'm sure you would have anyway without my asking.
Old 26-05-14, 11:24 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks advice duly noted and gratefully excepted, I hope to spend many happy hours here.

Mac
Old 14-06-14, 09:36 PM

Default More lances

Well I stumbled on 3 lancers for auction in a antique garden furniture auction on Thursday for this Saturday . I logged in and was set. it just said 3 lancers in the description. On a update on Friday it then said 1 unmarked and 2 x 21st Lancers WWI. loving ALL THINGS 17TH/21ST THEY WERE A MUST!. Pleased to report their mine and I am picking them up Monday. Report on markings to follow.
Rgs Mac
Old 18-06-14, 08:18 AM

Default lancer Number

Well heres a few pics I don't know if they are genuine even these get copied. Can anyone give me any pointers............get the pun?

Rgs Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09892.jpg (33.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09893.jpg (39.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09895.jpg (47.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 18-06-14, 10:08 AM

The marking you show are Indian Ordnance (I & Arrow) 1915 so fits in with Post #7 about locally made lances.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 18-06-14, 10:43 AM

Default Well a little closer

Thanks Mike
That's a bit more info heading the right way thank you for looking this up for me, Interesting the workmanship between the two lancers I got this weekend to the Wilkinson I got a few weeks back. There is a 4th but its horrible pics to follow soon.

Rgs Mac
Old 18-06-14, 11:07 AM

As a matter of interest, Pre Independence in 1947 Almost all military equipment was produced in India for the East India Company, The British Army in India, and the Indian Army... and continued after that date.

Enfield Rifles were also manufactured in India as well by the Indian Ordinance Factory at Ishapore marked IOF (Indian Ordnance Factory) or later RFI (Rifle Factory Ishapore) all being Indian Ordnance marked, a mark still used by the Indian government.

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/smle/ishapore-mkiii/

a bit of history:

http://ofbindia.nic.in/index.php?wh=history&lang=en [mainly about weapons]

It may be that these factory's also produced Lances as well? or were contracted out to smaller firms.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 18-06-14 at 11:19 AM.
Old 18-06-14, 11:10 AM

Default Stripped Lance

Well the 4th and dodgy looking lance the bamboo is better maintained someone has put the ends on in a hurry as they had the point on the fatter end. Once I pulled the ends off I could see how the bamboo is cut to help tapper the end. There are no markings on this and the bamboo shaft is about 30% thinner. The end is different?
Rgs Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09896.jpg (26.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09897.jpg (24.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09898.jpg (26.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 24-06-14, 12:03 PM

Well spent the morning cleaning sanding and staining 2 lancers. Rain has now stopped play so varnish tomorrow me thinks.

Rgs Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00048.jpg (30.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00051.jpg (47.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00050.jpg (65.0 KB, 10 views)