British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-09, 11:18 AM

Default Fake WW 2 Medals, a Short Guide.

This is something we all are afraid of......being offered a medal and sometimes not knowing if it's a fake/forgery or an original. I found this commercial website sometime ago and, after reading it I thought it could help some members and new collectors in giving them tips on how to see the differences between good and bad. As I said, from a commercial website,probably known to those in the UK.These informations can apply,I suppose, to ALL WW2 stars
Jo
http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/bri...arcopyfake.htm

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/bri...ermanystar.htm

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 15-08-09, 02:10 PM

Hi Jo. Our host Mike runs that site I think, so good info. Cheers, Paul.
Old 15-08-09, 03:00 PM

He does........ and doesn't advertise it......????
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 15-08-09, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
He does........ and doesn't advertise it......????
Jo
Modest Mike it is then!.

There are a few dealers that don't freely give out this kind of information in the hope they can shift a few suspect items

This link doesn't deal with spotting fakes but it may be useful to some -

http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/wwii_medals.htm

Kev C
Old 15-08-09, 05:55 PM

Good website Kev, one thing though it's a BRITISH one. The site forgets to mention that in the case of ALL Canadians that served overseas during the war, they are entitled to wear the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal. So some Canadians may/can wear up to six medals, the 39-35 Star,the France and Germany Star,the Italy Star, the Defence Medal, the CVSM and finally the War Medal.

Jo

Old 15-08-09, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the history lesson Jo - rather ashamedly, I had no idea about the awarding of medals to our Canadian Brothers-in-Arms, only that the medals themselves differ in the metals used in their construction.

Kev C
Old 15-08-09, 09:39 PM

The CVSM was made of silver and, if I remember correctly the Canadian issue of the Stars were made of better metal than the British ones,maybe someone can expand on this.
Jo

Old 15-08-09, 10:47 PM

Default Silver medals and Bronze Stars

Hi Jo,

A couple of points to expand upon. Canadians were entitled to wear up to 5 campaign stars plus the three medals (CVSM, Defence, War Medal) for a total of 8 (WW2) wartime medals if entitled (plus any additional gallantry, long service, pre-WW2 campaigns and or commemoratives like the 1937 coronation).

In Canada, the wartime medals (again, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, Defence Medal and 1939-45 War Medal), were all struck in .800 silver (unlike the other Commonwealth nations where those medals were struck in cupro-nickel). I am not sure why we did our medals in Silver? I know that during the war when nickel was needed for war material we struck 5¢ pieces in "Tombac" Bronze (1942-43) and chromium plated steel (1944-45) instead of cupro-nickel or nickel-silver alloy like the Americans because of inconsistent supply. Perhaps Silver was just more plentiful? As well, silver is softer and easier to strike at such a large size. Even so, the mint had to double strike the CVSM because of its high relief*. (*Striking Impressions, Dr. JA Haxby, 1984, Royal Cdn Mint)

???(Did the Newfoundland veterans receive British issue Defence/War medals or Canadian issue?? Newfoundland became a Canadian province around the same time as the medals were ready for delivery, late 1949.)

Campaign Stars, I believe differ little if at all in composition from the other Commonwealth nations? The Haxby book I cited above only states that they were "bronze", but that could be any number of different Brass alloy mixes. I would suggest that they were likely the same "Tombac" (88% Copper, 12% Zinc) as the Canadian 1942-43 5¢ coins? Both, when first issued they have a very similar bright gold appearance but oxidize/tarnish to a dull appearance quite quickly with even minor handling. Also, it was an alloy the RC Mint was already familiar with procuring and striking.

The Royal Mint in England supplied the dies for all the different nations original issues.

Most Canadian veterans were issued their wartime medals and stars in late 1949-late 1950.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1943_V_5c.jpg (11.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 15-08-09, 11:17 PM

Bill, when I said may/can wear up to six medals, I wanted it to mean that I never saw a veteran wear more than three stars and three medals. Most Canadian vets of the Italian campaign will have the 39-45 Star,the Italy Star and the F & G Star,then the Defence Medal,CVSM and War Medal (for those that were in both theatres).
I know that those Kiska veterans,today, can wear the Pacific Star but, what about the Hong Kong vets ???
I have never seen a vet with the 39-45,F & G Star,Italy Star, Africa Star (yes,some vets are entitled to it, either with 1st or 8th Army), Defence,CVSM and War medal, now that would be something.
Thanks for the informations Bill, greatly appreciated.
Regards
Jo

Old 16-08-09, 12:02 AM

Hi Jo,

Too true, most Canadian vets only have two stars as the majority only served in one theatre. Most Italian vets have the three stars... there may be a few senior staff officers that qualified for four, as well as a few RCAF (RCN?) individuals who may have served in Europe, Africa and the Pacific?? I am not sure if any Canadians actually qualified to wear all 5 "star" entitlements? Interesting.

I am also noticing now at veteran gatherings how many of the younger veterans do not wear the Defence medal as they were not in England long enough to qualify.
Old 16-08-09, 09:55 PM

The CVSM was struck in .925 Sterling silver, while the WM and Defence Medal were struck in .800 Silver.
Old 16-08-09, 10:01 PM

Thanks Adam for the information. Really appreciated.
Jo