British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-10, 04:38 PM

Default Informations about buttons stick

I try to find serious informations about the use of differents buttons sticks by the british army. Is there any study in england about this kind of material ? Thanks. Vincent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vincent 065.jpg (40.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-04-10, 10:17 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Hello,
Not that I know of. If it is of any help I have two, one issued to my step-Grandfather who joined the RAF in 1943 and one that may have belonged to a member of the RAOC. They are identical.
Matti
Old 09-04-10, 10:38 PM

Just found something on the subject.Perhaps it will memories to some.....
Jo
Of button sticks and boot polish.By Alan R. Capon
The magazine called it a “mystery object” and asked if any of its readers could identify the flat, brass, bifurcated item illustrated. It was, of course, immediately recognized by anyone who had served in the armed forces in the 1940s and ‘50s. It was a Button Stick. The button stick that was illustrated had various shaped cut-outs along the outside edges as well as two holes. The various shapes were to assist the soldier or airman in cleaning buckles and cap badges while the long slot and the holes were used to polish buttons. When I joined the Royal Air Force in 1951, buttons on the “Best Blue” or Number One dress uniform and on the service greatcoat were all made of brass, as was the cap badge and the fittings on the blue-blancoed webbing equipment. Using Brasso and the button stick all the uniform brass was polished to the highest standard. In the late 1950s, anodized or “Staybrite” badges, that never needed polishing, were issued and the button stick became redundant. Not all button sticks were made of brass. Those issued in the RAF in later years were simple two-legged sticks made of a dark red fibre material. Those who served in active theatres may recall that shiny brass uniform badges and buttons were replaced with black, non-reflective composition ones. Another item of kit, undoubtedly obsolete today, was known as a “Housewife” or sometimes, “Hussif”. This consisted of a small roll of heavy cotton cloth, often beige in colour, although occasionally in blue or black, secured with tape ties. It contained a darning kit consisting of needles, thread, a thimble, scissors, etc. I cannot recall ever using any of its contents during my three years service but the housewife had to be carefully maintained as it had to be produced if a kit inspection was called. Kit inspections were usually only carried out during initial or basic training. A photograph showing how the kit items were to be displayed on the perfectly made-up bed was posted in every barrack room. At RAF West Kirby, on the Mersey, not far from Liverpool, where I underwent my “square bashing” the photograph showed a tin of Cherry Blossom boot polish. Unfortunately, however, only Kiwi polish was available at the NAAFI canteen and, of course, we were not allowed out of camp during training. How then to find a Cherry Blossom tin for kit inspections? The answer was that the Drill Corporals offered to provide them to the recruits – for a mere shilling more than the price charged in stores and canteens!

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 09-04-10, 10:52 PM

I still have mine, and 'Button Sticks' were also used to clean 37 Patt Webbing and to help mask the buckles to brasso them.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 10-04-10, 10:23 AM

Default Buttons sticks

Thanks to everyone.
Few studies take care about small items like buttons stick...
Old 10-04-10, 11:31 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Too true Vincent. I happily used my step-Grandfathers button stick up until 2000 to help clean the brass on my Sam Browne and brass belt supports on my tunic with never really thinking about the item in question.
Matti
Old 10-04-10, 01:09 PM

Hello Vincent. My fathers from the war, he was a Grenadier so it would have been bulled so as the Sargent Major could see his face in it.Regards. Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg button stick.jpg (26.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-04-10, 03:14 PM

Default Button Sticks

Here are 4 that I have:

No 1 - Early basic pattern - slot only
No 2 - Early pattern - slot and hole (for brass studs on leather equipment?)
No 3 - "Economy" pattern for P08 and P37 web equipment made from brown material - possibly Bakelite?
No 4 - Standard pattern? Patent No 116972/17 slightly different edge cut outs for P08 and P37 web equipment buckles and fittings. This one manufactured by W.H.B. dated 1955 and issued to me in 1969!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Button Stick (2).jpg (30.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Button Stick (3).jpg (33.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Button Stick.jpg (34.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Button Stick (4).jpg (33.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 10-04-10 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Additional patent info
Old 10-04-10, 03:40 PM

The one at No.4 was pattented on the 4th July 1918. So far I have not found dates for any of the others illustrated.

The one in the first post was pattented on the 26th June 1919, as 'A Stick for Cleaning the Metal Parts of Military Equiment'.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 04:17 PM

Hello all,
Here are two examples one of them as Vincents,the other looks to be hinged, taken from Military Collectables.
Regards Tony.

Last edited by tonyb; 24-08-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 04:37 PM

The hinged one was pattented on the 30th of January 1913.
Old 13-04-10, 04:23 PM

Default Button stick...

Thanks to everyone !
Dates of introduction and patterns are very important to understand which brand of button stick was used during ww1 and ww2.
I saw that 54bty have the right documentation and I'd like to have the same !
Here a new photo, two differents brand of button stick "Pionner" and " The new pionner", the second one seems to be improved for the cleaning of buttons. I will post as soon as new photos of my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vincent 066.jpg (51.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 15-04-10, 07:55 PM

Default buttons sticks

More to come, Bodill Parker made (1922 dated) in differents sizes. Informations about general use are wellcome, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01756.jpg (48.8 KB, 28 views)