British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-07-11, 11:21 AM

Default SAS-FANY

One for our Special forces experts. I have come across a reference to the following:-

SPECIAL AIR SERVICE F.A.N.Y. CAP BADGE 1960'S

THIS WAS A SMALL UNIT THAT ONLY LASTED A VERY SHORT TIME.

FIRST AID NURSING YEOMANRY ATTATCHED TO S.A.S.

Has anyone ever come across this unit? There is a picture of the badge but due to ownership I cannot display it here (I can PM it)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 22-07-11, 12:22 PM

IS the badge your thinking of a cloth winged parachute ? I do believe it existed , for years collectors thought it was a fantasy item made by post war dealers and to try to pass it off as an SAS variaton , then later it was classed as a ` very rare womens S.O.E parachute wings ` worn after 3 combat jumps in to ocupied Europe blah blah blah .

It is a general belief thats these were worn 1960`s -1970s by F.A.N.Y working as signalers / signals clerks working with 21 SAS ( t a ) ,

The F.A.N.Y `s that performed this roll - were never in the SAS
- attempted or passed selection

they may ........... have had parachute training ?

there is a feint possibility some of these girls were attached to 22-SAS /special forces command , London , but prooving this would be near impossible , hope this helps , regards ,Michael

Last edited by NEMO; 22-07-11 at 04:11 PM.
Old 22-07-11, 12:29 PM

IS the badge your thinking of a cloth winged parachute ? Yes it is. Would this be worn as a/ cap badge, b/ arm badge, c/ breast badge ???

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 22-07-11, 12:50 PM
Banned

Are we suggesting that the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry existed in the 1960s/1970s ? David
Old 22-07-11, 12:53 PM

They are still going strong today and are now know as FANY (Princess Royal's Volunteer Corps)

See link
http://www.fany.org.uk/

JERRY
Old 22-07-11, 12:56 PM

Check it out on their website they are still going and also known as The Princess Royals Volunteer Corps. Apparently the go parachuting as well .
Old 22-07-11, 01:13 PM
Banned

Thanks for that - I checked out their website. A bit like the Women's Institute in uniform then ? Also interesting that they only exist in central London. Don't quite see how they might qualify for formal military insignia like para wings as they aren't sworn service personnel. I also notice that their 'nursing' only extends to first-aid these days so I suppose the FANY title has been hi-jacked to a certain extent. I don't quite see them in joint ops with special forces. Interesting thread. David
Old 22-07-11, 03:10 PM

Default SAS-FANY Badge?

Forum Members,
I believe the embroidered badge that you are referring to appears opposite the title page of James Short's book on special forces insignia. It is captioned: 'Unique parachute qualification badge created in 1961 by 21 SAS for members of First Aid Nursing Yeomanry attached to a base signals unit prior to the inception of 63 Signals Squadron; dark blue shield, white parachute with light blue wings; Sw/U.' Sw/U an abbreviation for Silk woven/Unobtainable. Would appear that the shield was the same size as that of the contemporary SAS cap badge. There is no further discussion regarding official issue, qualification requirements or wear. Almost forgot, the full title of the book; SPECIAL FORCES INSIGNIA British and Commonwealth Units An Illustrated Reference Guide for Collectors, J.G. Shortt, Arms & Armour Press, London, 1988, ISBN 0-85368-875-3. hth (Hope that helps).
Regards,
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 22-07-11 at 03:25 PM.
Old 22-07-11, 03:28 PM

Arnhem Jim, Thanks for the info. I have e mailed FANY(PRVC) to see if they can give me any information on this unit. When/if I receive a reply I will post it here for all to see

JERRY
Old 22-07-11, 03:36 PM

Default FANY

This poor quality image (remember black and white photocopying?) was sent to me by Len Whittaker - with his comment attached):
img191.jpg
Old 22-07-11, 03:56 PM

Default SAS-FANY Badge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
This poor quality image (remember black and white photocopying?) was sent to me by Len Whittaker - with his comment attached):
Attachment 44538
One and the same as badge shown in Shortt's book.
Arnhem Jim
Old 22-07-11, 06:28 PM

Robin Hodges' book shows a FANY wearing French para wings. Can't remember why, but something about not being allowed British ones for some reason. David
Old 22-07-11, 06:36 PM
peter616

Jerry here the two types of FANY wings

peter

FANY WING 1.jpg

FANY.jpg
Old 22-07-11, 06:48 PM

Peter, Thanks for the picture's.
David, if you have a look at their web site it says that the FANY(PRVC) can attend the French para school for a two week course and "win" their wings, French of course.

JERRY
Old 22-07-11, 07:58 PM

Default SAS FANY

My understanding is that the FANY cadre attached to 21 at the time was small, perhaps six to eight individuals, one of whom was married to the then Colonel commanding. A para course was arranged and an unofficial wing designed. There seems to be two varients, one with seven rigging lines and one with five, so it is possible that this training was repeated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FANY wing 5 rigging lines.jpg (40.9 KB, 44 views)