British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-10-23, 10:51 AM

Many thanks, yet again, John, I certainly should have persevered with the bids on what turns out to be a pagri badge. I did come a very close second, although there's no telling how high it might have gone, of course. I've attached some pics of my little collection, plus the latest additions, the single ST is brass, I notice, and the other two, gilding metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC15124.jpg (70.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15125.jpg (63.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15126.jpg (51.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15127.jpg (53.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15128.jpg (56.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15129.jpg (62.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15130.jpg (52.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15131.jpg (59.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15132.jpg (56.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15133.jpg (63.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15134.jpg (63.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 24-10-23, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
Many thanks, yet again, John, I certainly should have persevered with the bids on what turns out to be a pagri badge. I did come a very close second, although there's no telling how high it might have gone, of course. I've attached some pics of my little collection, plus the latest additions, the single ST is brass, I notice, and the other two, gilding metal.
Super display in homage to a great regiment Chris. Were you aware that the letters should be below the grenades in the case of the two-piece format shoulder titles?
Old 24-10-23, 03:38 PM

Oh dear! I didn't know that, Toby, many thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will rearrange them, immediately, if not sooner.
Old 24-10-23, 04:07 PM

Great stuff there Chris! This is the pagri badge for the FSH as mentioned. It was initially worn on a green square backing (the green on mine is a bit faded), later changed to a Shamrock backing.

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0798.jpg (48.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 24-10-23, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
Oh dear! I didn't know that, Toby, many thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will rearrange them, immediately, if not sooner.
I’m glad to help Chris. This was a standard format for all fusilier regiments from 1905 until the first regiments began to experiment with one piece titles around 1913. The NF were the first to make that change followed by most, but not all the others. RSF and RWF seem to be the only ones who never adopted a one-piece title.
Old 25-10-23, 02:00 AM

The RWF did have a one piece title in the traditional format, but strangely, I too have never seen an RSF one.

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0799.JPG (74.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0800 - Copy.JPG (70.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by cbuehler; 25-10-23 at 02:22 AM.
Old 25-10-23, 07:12 AM

Both the 15th RWF and RSF TF Battalions were issued one piece titles, in the case of the RWF there is also the interesting title shown in Westlake 969, which I believe is original as well as the many one piece grenades and letters RWF which were manufactured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
I’m glad to help Chris. This was a standard format for all fusilier regiments from 1905 until the first regiments began to experiment with one piece titles around 1913. The NF were the first to make that change followed by most, but not all the others. RSF and RWF seem to be the only ones who never adopted a one-piece title.
Old 25-10-23, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
The RWF did have a one piece title in the traditional format, but strangely, I too have never seen an RSF one.

CB
I should’ve made clear I meant other than standard format for TF and also excluded the unusual 2nd Battalion version with its triangular link construction, so you’re quite right.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 25-10-23 at 07:55 AM.
Old 25-10-23, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Both the 15th RWF and RSF TF Battalions were issued one piece titles, in the case of the RWF there is also the interesting title shown in Westlake 969, which I believe is original as well as the many one piece grenades and letters RWF which were manufactured.
Yes you’re right about the unusual Westlake title, made locally by 2nd Battalion, if I recall correctly. I had been excluding the TF, but didn’t make that clear. I suppose what I meant was the type of title where the grenade appears between the letters, centrally located. Three letters makes it more challenging than for say, NF, but RMF and RDF still managed it, and the odd looking 2nd Battalion type described had no official basis or source of Ordnance supply.
Old 02-12-23, 05:56 PM

Hello Chaps, I've just added another RMF OSD collar badge to the collection, unfortunately it's another one that's facing right. However, it was less than half the price of the first one so I can't have everything, I guess. I'm fairly sure that this is a good 'un, although it was in amongst a few fakes, what do you think? (badge#2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC14835.JPG (88.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14836.JPG (87.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14862.jpg (54.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14863.jpg (37.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-12-23, 12:55 AM

It is a "good 'un", but the bronze finish has been removed from the front.

CB
Old 07-12-23, 01:52 PM

The latest addition to my little RMF collection arrived yesterday, and as CB has already confirmed, it is a good 'un. Sadly, it does look as if it has been polished, this may have been some overzealous previous owner, or it might have been officially polished to be worn on khaki drill, I guess, that, we'll never know!

I was hoping to get a facing pair of these OSD collars, but now, in my little display, I've got three badges looking left, and two looking right, that'll just have to do for now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC15244.jpg (65.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15245.jpg (52.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15246.jpg (62.5 KB, 16 views)