British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-20, 07:55 PM

Default Economy York and Lancs

Am I correct in thinking there is no all GM economy York and Lancaster Regiment cap badge?
Tony.
Old 06-03-20, 08:13 PM

You are correct, no 1916 all GM issue exists.
Old 06-03-20, 08:23 PM

Thanks Luke.
Tony.
Old 06-03-20, 08:32 PM

I recall a thread where Peter Taylor claimed to have the regimental diary which supposedly records that in WW2 bazaar made badges were produced in brass. As always with the esteemed Mr Taylor I would be wary and also treat any such sand cast badge with the degree of caution needed.
Old 06-03-20, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I recall a thread where Peter Taylor claimed to have the regimental diary which supposedly records that in WW2 bazaar made badges were produced in brass. As always with the esteemed Mr Taylor I would be wary and also treat any such sand cast badge with the degree of caution needed.
I agree with you there, sand cast badges are just cheap field repair replacements imho.
Andy
Old 07-03-20, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
I agree with you there, sand cast badges are just cheap field repair replacements imho.
Andy
They may be as said, but why do many cloth "theatre made" or "field made" items bring such a premium price?
While such badges may not be issue, if they were obtained and worn during the period, they are certainly genuine, albeit IF they are genuine....do I detect cap badge snobbery here

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 07-03-20 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-03-20, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

There is a lot of misinformation about Bazaar badges. I reality they were not just wartime but in peacetime made by local suppliers in India and Egypt for sale to both soldiers and occasionally to the units themselves.

Some of the Indian ones were very well made in deed. They are invariably cast with the overlays pinned where the design in bi-metal. I would expect Y&L bazarr badges to be available in bimetal although it's possible that all brass ones were produced in wartime.

Problem is are that they have been copied by Pakistani firms and therefore hard to date.
Old 07-03-20, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post

Problem is are that they have been copied by Pakistani firms and therefore hard to date.
100%. Same method of construction and fixings etc. with no real way of telling when it was made. Even ones appearing to have some age could be old reproductions or far more recent and aged up by various methods such as burying in a plant pot for a month. A fakers dream.

Personally I wouldn’t buy without provenance or I’d have to be very, very convinced by one. To date I still have no ‘theatre made’ badges in my collection. Dismounts hobby horse.
Old 07-03-20, 12:40 PM

Just when the "bazaar" made badges were made is the big problem. Certain styles of fixings and markings can often be an indicator and I suspect the majority of them are likely older period made pieces.
This is of course my opinion, but I doubt that many original British made badges remained available for copying in India or Pakistan for very long after their independence, nor much of a demand to justify making them.
I would certainly not buy anything coming out of those countries in recent years!

CB
Old 07-03-20, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
They may be as said, but why do many cloth "theatre made" or "field made" items bring such a premium price?
While such badges may not be issue, if they were obtained and worn during the period, they are certainly genuine, albeit IF they are genuine....do I detect cap badge snobbery here

CB
Ha, no but as you've mention " if they are genuine ". A lot of late 1700 and early 1800 badges etc etc were cast though, so you never know.
Andy