British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-07-11, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default Canadian Corps of Signals variations

Two different dies of the Canadian Corps of Signals badges. One badge is slidered while the other is lugged. Interesting that there are varieties in the badges. The CCS existed, as permanent force for a short period of time, circa 1920-1921. The militia component existed until 1936 when it was granted the "Royal" prefix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0273.jpg (75.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 18-07-11, 09:48 PM

Default CC of S Slider

Hi Bill...
I was surprised when I picked up a slider version last year at the Peterborough show. Now how many variants of RCCS Kings crown 10 -15 ? I have at least 10 variants

Gerald VVV
Old 19-07-11, 03:03 PM

Default Canadian Corps Of Signals

The CCS badge was developed after the Commenwealth (Signals) meeting. the various Signal Corps developed similar badges with national specific designs. the progression of the Canadian Signals was : Canadian Signal Corps, Canadian Corps Of Signals (Permenent and Non), Royal Canadian Corps Of Signals (Non-Permenent/Militia assumed "Royal" in the 30's), C&E Branch.

There are many variations of all badges. I have CCS lugged, tang, slider and post badges. Void and non-void crowns. Spelling errors. Finish (OSD, Brass, Gilt and "silvered"). Fonts are different, Jimmy is different. Stamped and Cast. Plus there are a few "weird" badges out there that just do not make any sense for what they are or who wore them - but they are "Signals".
Old 19-07-11, 10:21 PM

Default Weird and Wonderful

Yeah Larry finding the weird and wonderful badges, patches make it sooo much fun !!!

Gerald VVV
Old 16-08-14, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLWill View Post
The CCS badge was developed after the Commenwealth (Signals) meeting. the various Signal Corps developed similar badges with national specific designs. the progression of the Canadian Signals was : Canadian Signal Corps, Canadian Corps Of Signals (Permenent and Non), Royal Canadian Corps Of Signals (Non-Permenent/Militia assumed "Royal" in the 30's), C&E Branch.
And now, thankfully, back to The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals.
Old 16-08-14, 11:10 AM

Default CCS Badges

Dear All.

Is there a new badge now that the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals has returned??????????

Has the C & E Branch finished and their badge????????

Cheers

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 16-08-14, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

There are new metal shoulder titles being introduced. I have not heard anything about the cap badge to date.
Old 16-08-14, 05:52 PM

Hello Bill,

Will the new badges be titled RC SIGS? If so, this would perpetuate the insignia used prior to unification.

Walt
Old 16-08-14, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

The ones I saw werer RCCS in brass for wear on the DEU epaulet.
Old 16-08-14, 10:47 PM

Thanks Bill!
Old 17-08-14, 04:17 PM

It will be interesting to see what the French abbreviation for RCCS will be. CTRC (Corps de Transmission Royale du Canada)?

Walt
Old 17-08-14, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

See no end of confusion with that one. CTRC? CRTC?
Old 17-08-14, 09:32 PM

.....or as per the Military Dictionary, Queen's Printer, 1945 edited under the direction of Lt.Col. Chaballe, General Staff, the french translation suggested is/was "Service des Transmissions Royal Canadien"...........STRC.......
Myself,I would go for RCCS= "Corps Royal Canadien des Transmissions"......
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 17-08-14, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the info Jo. You got me thinking, and I checked the C & E Museum website to see what translation they use; it's le Corps Royal Canadien des Transmissions.

Walt
Old 17-08-14, 11:45 PM

Walt, if I'm not mistaken the french version will be CTRC but I haven't seen anything official yet. Jo, in discussions with the Branch leadership when the abbreviations were being worked on (for the record, I lobbied hard for RCSigs instead of RCCS) they wanted the French translation to not use "CRCT" as it was felt the "Royal" applied to the "Corps of Signals" and not just the "Corps". "Corps des Transmission Royal Canadien" fits better under that way of thinking but I can't say for sure which way they went.

Larry and Bill, you know I have to correct any inaccuracies I read about Canadian Signals matters...... Contrary to your statements, the use of "CCS" did not apply to the component of the permanent force at any time. General Order 27/1919 established the "Canadian Signalling Instructional Staff" as the first component of the permanent force. GO 248/1920 amended the title to be "The Canadian Permanent Signal Corps" and finally, GO 174/1921 (15 June 1921) changed the designation of the permanent component to "The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals".

The use of "Canadian Corps of Signals" was established by GO 231/1921 (1 August 1921) by re-designating the Canadian Signal Corps, Non-Permanent Active Militia as the "Canadian Corps of Signals". You can see from the date of it's introduction that it's after the permanent force had already started to use the Royal designation.

Last edited by Joe C; 17-08-14 at 11:50 PM. Reason: clean up wording

Tags
canadian signals