British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-21, 04:42 PM

Cool HMS Excellent

I have no idea as to the value of this badge, I bought mine over fifty years ago in a collection, as I said previously put the badge on ebay.

Rob
Old 17-09-21, 06:24 PM

I believe it's the HMS EXCELLENT band badge. I'm ex-Navy and never heard of the Field Gun Crew or Senior Ratings ever wearing one. I've got one but the trident is broken. I have seen the badge surrounded by laurel leaves at a fair. I'm guessing that one would have been for a music case.
Old 18-09-21, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chay_Fezzar View Post
I believe it's the HMS EXCELLENT band badge. I'm ex-Navy and never heard of the Field Gun Crew or Senior Ratings ever wearing one. I've got one but the trident is broken. I have seen the badge surrounded by laurel leaves at a fair. I'm guessing that one would have been for a music case.
This could well be correct, as I said in a previous post I bought mine over fifty years ago and have tried to find out ever since who wore it, the gun team theory was put forward as to being a team that took part in the royal tournament.

Rob
Old 27-09-21, 08:10 PM

Cool HMS Excellent

Interestingly Bosleys have one in their next auction, Lot 337, their description does not give any further details as to who wore it.

Rob
Old 27-09-21, 08:19 PM

Thank you Rob. Your post made me realise the flip catalogue on Bosley’s website only shows about half their auction! The estimate on the badge concerned is £80-120.

The eBay badge sold for £52.97 to a well known dealer.
Old 28-09-21, 08:40 AM

Smile HMS Excellent

Luke,
IMO that was cheap at £52.97, I bought mine over fifty years ago in an old collection and what I paid is totally unrealistic by today's prices.

Although there have been various suggestions as to who wore this badge, nobody has yet to my knowledge nailed it with any evidence and that includes Bosleys who generally are as good a guide as anyone.

Rob
Old 28-09-21, 09:36 AM

Personally I think that was its value.

It was correctly advertised, on a week’s listing for the world to see. There were also no less than 5 interested collectors on here who no doubt bid and it sold by one increment, £1 or £2, more than the sum of their bids.

True it’s a nice badge, which it is, but if it turns out to be canteen staff badge I doubt it would be as desirable to many nor have as much monetary value.

Bosley as ever charge Bosley’s prices.
Old 28-09-21, 09:05 PM

Default HMS Excellent

Luke,
I think from the construction of my badge and the fact it came with a mixture of pre-territorial glengarry badges, HPC's, VB's, Victorian cavalry, Infantry with collars and titles all from that period I doubt as to whether it was worn by canteen staff.

This badge has been one that I have tried to research ever since I bought it, the Navy and Army Canteen Board was formed in 1917 and the NAAFI in 1920.

As to whether this badge was worn by a similar organisation I have yet to find out, but to my mind it's a scarce item and I will watch Bosleys results with interest.

Rob
Old 28-09-21, 09:21 PM

The canteen staff comment was tongue in cheek. My point was as no one has any real idea who wore it it may not be as glamorous (to some) as perhaps they might think.

For instance this 25th (Bank of England Rifles) Middlesex RVC collar badge. I’ve since been informed it was also likely worn by Bank of England staff, such was the standard of Victorian / Edwardian era dress.

Such a badge may easily find its way into a frame of period Volunteers and Victorian badges. Yet it may still belong to a footman or the like rather than member of the 25th Middx RVC.

It’s obviously up to a individual buyer if the aforementioned facts would affect its place in a collection or value. For some I suspect it might.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C84CF202-2F8D-466F-AB4C-76382F9D8FBB.jpg (60.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-10-21, 01:51 PM

Cool HMS Excellent

Well, the badge sold for £160 on the hammer at Bosleys today, several people must have wanted it as it sold well above the estimate.

Rob