British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-04-21, 03:00 AM

Default Today's Finds

Went to my first military show in over a year and had a really enjoyable time - but have to say sure felt better having both vaccine shots behind me. I was also impressed that they required you to wear a mask and they took your temperature before entering the hall.

Here's what I found, and am pleased with all.

I am really hoping the large blazer patch is right for the 19th Field Hospital. It does match the badge worn, except for two little bits either side of the sword handle. Can anybody advise me on that?

Everything was really cheap because not one of the sellers know anything about British beyond a Pegasus patch and an SAS patch. Then there's the other side of the coin, a fellow who had two other patches I wanted, but thought they were super rare and wanted an unbelievable over-rated high price. Needless to say, he still has them. Neither were rare, but I would have liked them.

I was surprised to find two South African pieces, a General Service badge with orange backing - maybe a collar? and a Women's Auxiliary service title. Don't really collect London Scottish, but do like them, so got those bits just to go with my Cap badge.

It was good to get out and see some old friends, and some military stuff. Again, hoping someone can advise about the blazer patch, if it is 19th Field Hospital.

Terry
Old 03-04-21, 08:14 AM

Default Fair finds

Terry,
you have made me and possibly others a bit envious as to your latest venture, great finds and I love the London Scottish items.
Rob
Old 03-04-21, 08:31 AM

Just the title of the thread had me! ( How did they manage that? ), when I saw the Avatar and "Home Guard" it clicked! Well jealous Terry!

Oh anc nice finds, billy
Old 03-04-21, 10:28 AM

Terry,
The WAAS looks like a lead cast economy version.
The SA General service is a collar badge but should not have the red backing. This was used though by the WAMPC which would fit your collection nicely.

WAMPC = Woman's Army Military Police Corps

Steven
Old 03-04-21, 11:00 AM

The blazer badge shows the (part) arms of the City of Bath (UK). As to whether it has a military connection I will leave others to say.

Dave.
Old 03-04-21, 12:57 PM

A "19TH SOUTHERN (CITY OF BATH) GENERAL HOSPITAL R.A.M.C. EMBROIDERED FORMATION SIGN BADGE" can be seen here :

https://www.mcgregor.uk.net/product/...e-lot-no-1365/

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 03-04-21, 03:21 PM

Gentlemen, Thank you all! Some really good information here for me and I always appreciate it.

Did not realize that was a Bath badge, but am happy enough to add it to my RAMC/RAF medical collection as it could have been worn by a 19 Field Hospital member.

Rob, were it not a regiment I like, I'd send the London Scottish bits to you.

Steven, very interesting about the SA Women's MP. The little piece of felt behind the badge is old so I assume it was worn that way. To be sure, are you saying the Women's MP would wear the red behind the badge?

Were the SA Women's MPs part of the SAWAAS?

Thank you all gentlemen, makes me even happier with my buys!

Terry
Old 04-04-21, 02:55 AM

Terry,
Yes the WAMPC was part of WAAS. They wore general service Cap and Collar badges with SAMPC shoulder titles.

The cloth backing was not worn by WAMPC. As far as I am aware cloth backings to GS badges were only worn by First Reserve Brigade and indicated which area.zone they belonged to. Red was used by 2nd Battalion (Cape Province).
It may also have just been added by a collector to display the badge off... a very common practice.

Steven

Last edited by Milmed; 04-04-21 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-04-21, 05:09 PM

Thanks Steven! I was not aware of the SA MPs before this, but am delighted to learn that this fits into my SAWAAS collection. Guess I'll need to add a cap badge as well now, and seek a shoulder title. Do you happen to have a picture of it?

Terry