British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-06-23, 07:53 PM

Default RAF brass cap badge... from what period?

Good day to all,

I own this RAF Other Ranks' cap badge and always assumed it was Second World War vintage but there are subtle differences to the common pattern;

Firstly, it has a slider rather than lugs and secondly the crown is not voided. My research tells me this may in fact be a 1918 or later badge but the mark on the slider seems suspect:

The "E" in England has a short upper stroke and the "D" appears to have been misstruck. I would not have expected a country name for a maker's mark, but I am no expert either. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this is a genuine badge and if it is in fact from 1918 or the interwar period?

Thank you

DSC02556 copy.jpg

DSC02557 copy.jpg
Old 05-06-23, 08:05 PM

“ENGLAND” was (in my own opinion good quality copies!) but Copies/Restrikes nonetheless!

Slidered RAF badges have mixed reception as to their existence, but I have two with tapered sliders and crimp marks as per 1st W.W. badges so I believe these did exist and replaced the RFC WW1 badges for other ranks either 1918 or just after? I look forward to hearing views on this myself from Forum members!

Your badge is a Copy, but well made, don’t bin it but keep as an example, if you do decide you don’t like it let me know and can go with my other “ENGLAND” badges.

All the best billy
Old 05-06-23, 08:10 PM

Possibly a ‘Morrison’ Restrike badge, indicators are tapered slider and ENGLAND mark.

See https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...74&postcount=2

Tim
Old 11-06-23, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Possibly a ‘Morrison’ Restrike badge, indicators are tapered slider and ENGLAND mark.

See https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...74&postcount=2

Tim

Thank you, Tim