British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-05-23, 08:43 PM

Default Help needed

This may be "mission impossible", but I am trying to put a name to the former owner and wearer of these items.

Some years ago a local auction house advertised the fact that they were tasked with selling the residue of the late Agatha Christie's estate to which were added other items, I went along and bought the following insignia, all housed in a beautifully carved box to the Madras Sappers and miners.

As you can see from the photographs, it was someone who was a Major in the Royal Engineers (GviR), 20th Indian Division, 14th Army who had possibly been in the Assam Valley Light Horse, flew with the Bengal Flying Club and was a member of the Bentley Owners Club.

These credentials do have a flavour of the queen of crime's associates, but of course this may just have been a coincidence.

Any ideas or help gratefully received.

Thanks Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040623.jpg (63.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg P1040624.jpg (52.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg P1040630.jpg (83.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P1040633.jpg (73.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P1040636.jpg (46.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P1040637.jpg (52.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1040639.jpg (40.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P1040635.jpg (54.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 31-05-23, 02:12 PM

A very nice lot there, particularly the box and AVLH badges. I do not think the POW plumes with that group has anything to do with the rest however. Possibly KGO Bengal S&M. Nice AVLH pagri flash!
Whilst of course we do not know, of course there may not be any direct link of service to all the items, but unrelated items acquired during service for some reason.
Old 31-05-23, 05:32 PM

‘‘residue of the late Agatha Christie's estate to which were added other items’’

Does not sound very inspiring or clear as to what was what.
Old 31-05-23, 07:50 PM

Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
A very nice lot there, particularly the box and AVLH badges. I do not think the POW plumes with that group has anything to do with the rest however. Possibly KGO Bengal S&M. Nice AVLH pagri flash!
Whilst of course we do not know, of course there may not be any direct link of service to all the items, but unrelated items acquired during service for some reason.
Thanks for your thoughts on this lot CB, the AVLH items are a real find as was the whole lot, the fact there was a set of Bengal Flying Club wings and a Bentley owners badge made me think the previous owner was not too hard up for money.

Luke, you are right, not very inspiring and no items really connected to Agatha Christie but it attracted me and I think brought me to an interesting lot.

Rob
Old 31-05-23, 08:52 PM

Default Bengal Flying Club

Having looked at some of the history relating to the Bengal Flying Club there are several Army officers that were involved, any information on the following may be a help to me.

Captain S.H. Bhedwar
Lt. J.A. Davies
Lt. W.D. Horniman
Major William Jones
Major H.I. Mathews

Thanks for looking.

Rob
Old 05-06-23, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Having looked at some of the history relating to the Bengal Flying Club there are several Army officers that were involved, any information on the following may be a help to me.

Captain S.H. Bhedwar
Lt. J.A. Davies
Lt. W.D. Horniman
Major William Jones
Major H.I. Mathews

Thanks for looking.

Rob
Possible connection ?

Quote:
THE LONDON GAZETTE, 31 MAY, 1929

ROYAL CORPS OF SIGNALS.

Lt. W. D. Horniman is restd. to the estabt. on ceasing to be empld. with the R.A.F. 30th Mar. 1929.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 05-06-23, 04:27 PM

Default Lt. W. D. Horniman

Thanks Mike, this man attached to the RAF may well have been a contender to be involved with the Bengal Flying Club.

Rob