British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-22, 10:13 AM

Default effin postie

I bought two photographs from ebay last week, they arrived on thursday, the postman in his wisdom folded over the cardboard package they were in to fit them through the letter box.

Bearing in mind the package said fragile/handle with care and it was sent 2nd class signed for (no attaempt to get a signature was made), I don't understand why he did this and of course both photos are now damaged whereas they were perfect before this.

to say I am pissed off is an understatement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20221208161018.jpg (41.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20221208163457.jpg (39.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20221208163441.jpg (70.5 KB, 114 views)

Jerry
Old 10-12-22, 10:36 AM

Jerry.

Had this once myself and tried and failed for any response from the Post Office, in the end I had words with the Postie, never happened since but ofcourse the photograph was ruined forever.

Simon.
Old 10-12-22, 11:48 AM

Several years ago I had a similar issue with Royal Mail. The postman had folded a large re-enforced card envelope containing a card backed photograph. The photo was damaged beyond repair. This was despite the envelope bearing a sticker saying "Do not fold" etc.

I wrote to the Chief Executive of Royal Mail enclosing photographic evidence of the damage to the photo and of the outer packaging. I told him that I wanted full compensation for the damage which had been done by one of his staff. I told him that if he did not pay the compensation, I would take him to the small claims County Court.

I further pointed out that I could, quite legitimately take his staff member to the Magistrates Court for committing an offence under the Criminal Damage Act 1971.

I concluded by asking him to tell me which course of action he would prefer me to take. If he preferred the latter, then he could provide me with the full name, address and date of birth of the postman/woman so that I could serve a summons on him.

Within a week I received a cheque for the amount asked for and a handsome apology.

Don't be fobbed off by a Royal Mail minion. Go to the top and push them into a corner.

To prove the offence of causing criminal damage under the Criminal Damage Act 1971, the following elements need to be established:

Damage (temporary or permanent) was caused.
That damage occurred to property.
The damaged property belonged to another.
The damage was caused without lawful excuse.
An intention to cause the damage, or recklessness as to whether damage would be caused.

As an aside, Royal Mail no longer ask for signatures for recorded delivery items. That policy was introduced during the Covid business. The postman now signs confirming its been delivered. Of course, as with many things touching upon Covid., they never go back to the way it was. A further erosion of service that goodness knows how many organisations (Doctors included) have adopted. Why?, because its easier not to do what was done before!!

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 10-12-22 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-12-22, 11:51 AM

An ignorant Postperson. I would put a complaint in to Royal Mail !
Andy
Old 10-12-22, 02:06 PM

They may, or maybe not, offer you a second class stamp as compensation. The postmen are currently on a suicide mission.
Old 10-12-22, 02:50 PM

I used to be a Postman, they don't realise how easy they have it !
Andy
Old 10-12-22, 04:04 PM

I recently posted a cloth badge in an envelope, 1st class signed for, clearly marked To on the front and From on the back. Next day it was delivered to MY address, post office said I would have to put a claim in for the postage. Meantime I had to repack the badge in a new envelope which I sent 1st class signed for, clearly marked TO on the front and From on the back. Guess what? Next day it was delivered to MY address again, I spoke to the postie who crossed out the From address and put it back in the system. It arrived at its destination about 4 days later. I did get a book of stamps as compensation.

Steve
Old 10-12-22, 05:08 PM

Default Postal Service!

About ten or more years ago I posted a medal to a forum member in Northern Ireland at 5pm and received a PM to say he had the medal on his breakfast table.

This is the other side of the postal service, probably before smart phones which seem to take the edge off workers concentration.

Rob
Old 04-01-23, 02:00 PM

the two photographs that suffered, both from 1962, one is Welsh brigade 1st Bn RWF on St Davids day, the other instructors.

The first includes General Sir Hugh C. Stockwell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rwf 1962 photo new crop.jpg (96.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg rwf 1962 photo new crop 2.jpg (84.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg tidworh instructors new crop.jpg (74.3 KB, 41 views)

Jerry
Old 04-01-23, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post

As an aside, Royal Mail no longer ask for signatures for recorded delivery items. That policy was introduced during the Covid business. The postman now signs confirming its been delivered. Of course, as with many things touching upon Covid., they never go back to the way it was. A further erosion of service that goodness knows how many organisations (Doctors included) have adopted. Why?, because its easier not to do what was done before!!

Dave.
My postman still insists in taking everything back to the sorting office, signed for or not, even if only one item is signed for and the rest would fit through the door. It's a royal pain in the arse. If we aren't quick enough to catch him or we aren't in...tough.
Old 04-01-23, 03:10 PM

I think I get 2 different posties, one sticks it through if it fits or leaves in shed, the other leaves a card.

Jerry
Old 04-01-23, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
I bought two photographs from ebay last week, they arrived on thursday, the postman in his wisdom folded over the cardboard package they were in to fit them through the letter box.

Bearing in mind the package said fragile/handle with care and it was sent 2nd class signed for (no attaempt to get a signature was made), I don't understand why he did this and of course both photos are now damaged whereas they were perfect before this.

to say I am pissed off is an understatement
I totally sympathise, Jerry. It is infuriating beyond description. What adds to the agony, and insult to injury, is the Kafkaesque maelstrom of impenetrable barriers you’re subjected to when attempting to seek any kind of accountability or resolution (not that damage to an irreplaceable photograph can magically be rectified). Grrrrrrr!

JT