British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-03-16, 11:59 AM

Default Merchant Navy uniform WW1

Hi.
I'm researching my grandfather's naval career and have this photo of him in uniform in 1917 or 1918.
We think he was a Sub Lieutenant in the Merchant Navy and that he was a Wireless Telegraphist (operator). We do know he served on an Australian ship SS Katoomba that was requisitioned as a troopship in the Eastern Meditteranean just prior to and immediately after the end of the War.
If anyone can decypher what his cap badge is or that 'flash' on his left breast means I'd be very grateful.
Thanks
Jeff Fenton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan (3).jpg (37.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 14-03-16, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jeff, welcome to the Forum. Your post is active and open for replies.
Old 14-03-16, 12:30 PM

Welcome,

I cannot help with the cap badge but could the " flash" be the top of a handkerchief ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 14-03-16, 03:09 PM

Looks like a handkerchief to me too, just shadow giving an illusion of a voiding.

Cap badge looks like a RN rather than merchant but the crown is odd, it looks more Dutch.
Old 14-03-16, 08:23 PM

The cap badge appears to be that of the Royal Naval Transport Service. Manned by personnel of the Mercantile Marine during and after WW1.
Old 15-03-16, 11:46 AM

Default You're probably correct

Thanks for replying Hoot.
Your identification of Royal Naval Transport Service makes sense & may be correct.
I know the Katoomba was an Australian cruiser prior to the War that must have requisitioned by the British Govt for war service. One of the surviving notes from my grandfather says, of the ship ' Royal Australian Navy Fleet Auxiliary' and, of himself '...after discharge from the Aust Navy.' but enquiries with the RAN have proved fruitless. So maybe he was Mercantile Marine, seconded into the RNTS as you suggest and put on an Australian (RAN) Fleet Auxiliary ship? Who knows but all very interesting! He left a journal from his voyage which I'm currently transcribing before it fades away completely. It makes a fascinating read! Thanks again
Jeff
Old 15-03-16, 11:52 AM

Dear Phil
Many thanks for replying. It was probably just wishful thinking on my part that it was some sort of Radio Telegraphers wireless badge whereas in reality it's just an ordinary handkerchief!
Your suggestion that he was RN just adds to my confusion - I've had all sorts of suggestions - RN, Merchant Navy, Merchant Marine, Australian Navy and most recently Royal Naval Transport Service. I never knew there were so many navies!
Old 15-03-16, 11:54 AM

PB
It probably is a just a hanky but I'd hoped it was some sort of badge.
Thanks anyway
Jeff
Old 15-03-16, 10:14 PM

Would you please post a good close-up of the badge and of one or two of the buttons?
Old 15-03-16, 10:34 PM

Here is my RN Transport cap badge, to compare, if it is any help.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 16-03-16, 12:53 AM

Jeff, just for the record, this same basic pattern of cap badge, with the title circle around the central anchor, was worn by officers of the Royal Naval Transport Service, the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, the Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary, H.M. Transports and the War Department Fleet. They have the wording R.N. TRANSPORT., R.F.A., M.F.A., H.M. TRANSPORT., and W.D. or W.D.F. respectively. The first one is the most likely I think.
Old 17-03-16, 10:48 AM

Default close-ups as requested

Here's that close-up you asked for - 2 sets of buttons (with different light falling on them) & his cap badge. It looks fairly indistinguishable to me - just an anchor surrounded by something but I'd very much welcome any observations you might have
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan (5).jpg (22.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Scan (4).jpg (20.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Scan (3).jpg (20.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 17-03-16, 10:58 AM

Dear Phil
Thanks for the close-up of your cap badge. If nothing else it serves to dismiss my Grandad's as being similar because to me it's clearly different with what looks (on his) to be a distinct, short 'name' in the area above the anchor and what looks like a simple wreath ? surrounding it; as opposed to a great, long title all around it.
I wish I could have made a copy as big as you did yours but anyway I hope you can blow it up at your end.PS I've enclosed the close-ups I made for 'btns' in case you're not copied in to my other responses. (Not sure what other members can see of this thread)
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan (3).jpg (20.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Scan (4).jpg (20.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Scan (5).jpg (22.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 17-03-16, 11:30 AM

Thank you for the images of the buttons. I copied and pasted them into Paint and resized them to 300%.
The buttons on the uniform are stock anchor buttons. They do not have a crown. Such buttons are used for multiple reasons including non availability of specific designs. They are not useful for further identification of your granfather's uniform.
Old 17-03-16, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Dear Phil
Thanks for the close-up of your cap badge. If nothing else it serves to dismiss my Grandad's as being similar because to me it's clearly different with what looks (on his) to be a distinct, short 'name' in the area above the anchor and what looks like a simple wreath ? surrounding it; as opposed to a great, long title all around it.
I wish I could have made a copy as big as you did yours but anyway I hope you can blow it up at your end.PS I've enclosed the close-ups I made for 'btns' in case you're not copied in to my other responses. (Not sure what other members can see of this thread)
Jeff
A short title at the top of the circle would, in your grandfather's case, read either R.F.A. or M.F.A.. See post 11.