British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-23, 09:53 PM

Default Guards Sergeant's Stripes

Good day all,

My brother recently saw a video on Youtube about the Coldstream Guards, and had some questions. I looked it up and, if memory serves, it shows the guard getting ready at Wellington Barracks, in preparation for the Changing of the Guard (it's been 36 years since I've been in London around that area). My brother's question, which I could not answer, is as follows. The rank stripes on the scarlet uniforms of some sergeants is different. Some are plain white and some are what appear to be gold braid. In watching the video I could see no extra badge above the gold stripes, so I could not reliably answer my brother. I believe that the white stripes identify a regular Sergeant.

I'm thinking either Colour Sergeant or Staff Sergeant wearing the gold stripes. Can somebody let me know what the proper rank is for those inividuals? The video can be seen at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGBDuQ5eBsg

Thanks,

Ian B
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 01-06-23, 11:38 PM

The 3 White Chevrons in Full Dress in the Brigade of Guards are 'Lance Sergeants' who in the rest of the Army are in fact Corporals! 'Lance Corporals' wear 2 Chevrons...

The 3 Gold Chevrons are Real 'Sergeants'

In Service Dress (No2 Dress) LCpl wears 2 white chevrons, LSgt wears 3 and has 2 brass bands on his forage cap peak. Sgt wears 3 chevrons and has 3 bands on his forage cap and a posher capstar. He will also wear a red sash.

In MTP Combats all Chevrons are also white

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 01-06-23 at 11:52 PM. Reason: edited
Old 02-06-23, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Stripes

Thanks Mike. Appreciate the information. I'll pass it on to my brother.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"