British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-03-23, 03:13 PM

Default New badges

The new KC navy badges are out
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-an...pher-and-crown
Old 31-03-23, 03:59 PM

Thank you.

Marc
Old 31-03-23, 06:00 PM

May finally get some Q/C badges from my son -surgeon Commander
Old 31-03-23, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the link. I look forward to seeing the actual badges other than images. Then there will be the badges available from tailors (if any are still going other than Bauns that is) and then the rubbish that will appear on Ebay. Time will tell I guess.
Old 01-04-23, 06:38 AM

With the new navy badge designs similar to the old Kings crown type, I wonder if serving personal will wear KC badges from 1901-1951 period as a status symbol?
Will KC badges (1901-1951) now increase in price as current personal buy them?
I also look forward to the coronation to see the new badges in use.
Barry
Old 01-04-23, 06:32 PM

Default New Badges

These are not the new King's Crown navy badges - just an example of poor promo from the MoD. What the release is actually referring to is a CIIIR cypher badge that is to be worn by personnel at the Coronation. I must admit it confused me the first time I read it.

There are NOT TO BE ANY KING'S CROWN BADGES. It has already been announced that King Charles III intends to wear the crown worn by HM Queen Elizabeth II and this has already been adjusted to fit by the Royal Jewelers. Therefore the Crown on badges will not change

It would cost literally billions of pounds to replace all the badges, buttons and other insignia worn by the Armed Forces, Police, Fire, Ambulance, Coastguard and other organisations around the Commonwealth and HM the King has already decided that the cost cannot be justified. Therefore the old crown (the 'Queen's Crown') will continue to be used on all badges.

He's King - he can use any bloody Crown he wants too!

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 01-04-23, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Pete

As many Army badges have EIIR on them I am very confident that they will change on a waste-out-basis.

aln
Old 01-04-23, 06:56 PM

Default New Badges

This is the cypher adopted by King Charles III. This is the cypher that the press release referred to and which will be worn as a badge by personnel at the Coronation.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 01-04-23, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
These are not the new King's Crown navy badges - just an example of poor promo from the MoD. What the release is actually referring to is a CIIIR cypher badge that is to be worn by personnel at the Coronation. I must admit it confused me the first time I read it.

There are NOT TO BE ANY KING'S CROWN BADGES. It has already been announced that King Charles III intends to wear the crown worn by HM Queen Elizabeth II and this has already been adjusted to fit by the Royal Jewelers. Therefore the Crown on badges will not change

It would cost literally billions of pounds to replace all the badges, buttons and other insignia worn by the Armed Forces, Police, Fire, Ambulance, Coastguard and other organisations around the Commonwealth and HM the King has already decided that the cost cannot be justified. Therefore the old crown (the 'Queen's Crown') will continue to be used on all badges.

He's King - he can use any bloody Crown he wants too!

Pete
Certainly insofar as those military cap badges which incorporate a crown and a cipher will change to those of Charles III. The dies have already been approved and (for all we know) the badges have been produced. Although he will wear the same Crown at his Coronation as the late Queen did at her Coronation, the badges, cap etc for all three services will feature in future the Imperial State Crown in other words the King's Crown as in pre. 1953 design. So, you are wrong. The Crown WILL change.

Dave.
Old 01-04-23, 07:10 PM

Default New Badges

Well, I'm really confused now! Here's a link :-

I've now seen an announcement issued yesterday that King's Crown badges are to be adopted and first worn at the coronation! This overturns everything that's been announced previously both by the Armed Forces and from Buckingham Palace!

Here's a link :-

https://www.forces.net/king-charles/...g-kings-cypher

On a serious note, a monarch can decide to wear whatever crown they choose. A King does not have to adopt what we know as the King's Crown

I think I'll collect stamps ...

Pete

Last edited by Guzzman; 01-04-23 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

I suspect the new badges will be worn at the event and then the rest will waste out afterwards. At some point having the EIIR badge will be 'cooler' than having anew one and the old sweats will wear them for years.
Old 01-04-23, 08:37 PM

Repeating information that I posted on another thread:

To equip the British Army with the new King’s devices (crowns and cyphers) will require changes to over 1,500 individual items (as codified by NSN). This will cover cap badges, collar badges, rank badges, qualification badges and buttons etc.

Design, approval, manufacture and issue of all the items is likely to take at least two years. As usual, replacements should not be issued until “existing stocks are exhausted”. So a mix of crowns might be seen for some time.

Priority for issue of new badges will be to personnel taking part in Coronation events.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 02-04-23 at 11:20 AM.