British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-11, 10:46 PM

Default Royal Tank Regiment 1948

Would the RTR experts take a look at this photo and assist member iaindh:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=34206

Taken in 1948 there are several 1 RTR personnel and a possible connection to 40th (The King's) RTR as the photo was taken in Bootle, Liverpool.

Comments appreciated. Soldier on the left of the photo appears to be wearing a white on red cloth shoulder title and an RTR cap badge and beret?
Old 11-02-11, 11:29 AM

Just a thought, could attached personnel from other corps have worn the RTR beret and badge ?

( a bit like Noel Chavasse wearing the Liverpool Scottish glengarry and badge despite being a member of the RAMC )

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-02-11, 11:32 AM

Default RTR

Could the soldier on the left be a member of 42 RTR (TA) (23rd London Regt) wearing the white on red title 23RD LONDON REGT? The dates fit.
Old 12-02-11, 12:48 AM

Hi Tim, thanks for putting it on the general forum, I never thought of that. I did think also if the troopers were 40th RTR (7th King's) would they have worn the King's badge or RTR. I recall that at the time my father may have been in a training position so it could account for a few things.
Iain
Old 12-02-11, 09:18 AM

Iani,
I have sent you an E mail.

All the photos of the 40th (The Kings ) RTR I have seen show the RTR badge being worn.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img044.jpg (18.0 KB, 39 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 12-02-11, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the input Guys, I have attached another photo of the wedding; this shows my Grandfather from a different angle and more insignia is visible. (sorry about the funny angle, I'm told it'll lose definition if I turn it. I'm not in possesion of the original album.) Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wedding 48 Graandfather at different angle.jpg (43.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-02-11, 01:19 PM

I just wonder if the Div sign could be West Lancs ACF ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wedding 48 Graandfather at different angle.jpg (41.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg ACF.jpg (46.3 KB, 4 views)

Old 13-02-11, 01:57 AM

It looks simular, Peter, but I dont know the connection. Apparently the 40th RTR were reconstituted in 1947 having been placed in suspended animation in 46. That could account for the training? Also if the Lance Corporal on the left is 42 RTR (TA) (23rd London Regt) as Mike Jackson suggests, maybe he was also in a training capacity.
Another little point; what collar dogs is my Grandfather wearing? Doesnt look like RTR but the cap badge is.
I have asked my sister in the UK to have the photos recanned with higher definition as Tim suggested.
Old 13-02-11, 08:13 AM

This is only an idea but the Christmas card attached is for the West Lancs ACF, it has the kings crown ACF badge which would make it late 1940`s or early 1950`s and as will be seen the Cadet units listed include the RTR which would almost certainly be affiliated to the 40th Kings RTR.

It would also tie in with the "training ". The collars in the photo might be RTR officers bronze collars ones.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img247.jpg (54.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 14-02-11, 10:06 PM

Thanks Peter, you really are a mine of information!!!!!
Iain
Old 14-02-11, 10:18 PM

Default RTR 1948

With reference to the question of collar badges: might the No2 blues uniform have been borrowed or hired especially for the wedding, as I understand this was common, albeit unauthorised?

15.11.47. ACI 971: Ref AO 54 of 1947, decided that introduction of No1 Dress was indefinitely postponed.
TA units in 1948 had not been re-issued blues.

Do the medal ribbons tally with those awarded to the wearer? If not it might give a little credance to my suggestion.

Stephen.
Old 16-02-11, 07:26 AM

Thats a very good point Stephen, at that stage my father only had 4 medals, France & Germany Star, 39-45 Star, 39-45 Medal & the Defence Medal and there are possibly 7 medals on the Blues uniform.
Iain
mum & Dad good.jpg
Old 16-02-11, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

How long is his hair!
Old 16-02-11, 10:02 AM

What's under your beret is your own the rest is the army's.
Old 17-02-11, 10:00 AM

Ja,its been a talking point for years; he used to comb it back but the wind was a bit strong that day I believe; should have put it in a pony!!!!!

Tags
40 rtr