British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-14, 04:17 AM

Default NZ reinforcement numerals on Trademe

Interesting to see the exact same numerals offered by shedfinds on eBay AUSTRALIA have now been listed by powderhall on Trademe New Zealand, and are now described as reinforcement numerals!!!
Remember on eBay they were described as Australian slouch hat numerals??? mmmmmmmm? I rest my case
Note the photo's are exactly the same!!!!!!
Old 28-03-14, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSW Military Forces View Post
quick quick you better start harassing this ebay seller as he is also selling these numerals as Australian!!!!!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australian-37th-Battalion-Number-37-Slouch-Hat-Badge-/131148228812?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item1e890b28cc
I bought 8 New Zealand reinforcement numbers today .Two are Stoke ,Melbourne stamped .The Stokes ones are 100% NZEF worn. That has been proven beyond doubt
Old 28-03-14, 10:26 AM

that's a great pickup, so you have some documented proof to back up the "That has been proven beyond doubt" statement?

everyone seems to have a different view on the subject but not one person has dished up ANY actual proof.

I have photographs of Australians wearing the smaller and larger version and have and had Australian medals groups with personal items direct from the family with the smaller stokes marked numerals. I also have the smaller stokes marked numerals attached to "INF" and "AUSTRALIA" titles.

they probably were worn by NZ reo's but the fact is they were to some extent worn by Australians.
Old 28-03-14, 11:36 AM

HTML Code:
And
Oh but yes .Photographic evidence

Here is the undeniable evidence that the Stokes numerals were worn by NZEF soldiers(they are quite distinct from the NZ made ones) And backed up from those who have seen this

They show up in old collections over here .And talking to the ones in the know ,they were are over here for a reason

Now if they were worn by Australians as well is not my concern. It's up to you guys to work that out to be fair .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSW Military Forces View Post
that's a great pickup, so you have some documented proof to back up the "That has been proven beyond doubt" statement?

everyone seems to have a different view on the subject but not one person has dished up ANY actual proof.

I have photographs of Australians wearing the smaller and larger version and have and had Australian medals groups with personal items direct from the family with the smaller stokes marked numerals. I also have the smaller stokes marked numerals attached to "INF" and "AUSTRALIA" titles.

they probably were worn by NZ reo's but the fact is they were to some extent worn by Australians.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (1.7 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by pukman; 28-03-14 at 11:43 AM.
Old 28-03-14, 12:08 PM

if you have attached a picture it is not attached?

"Now if they were worn by Australians as well is not my concern. It's up to you guys to work that out to be fair"
That's the only issue I have with them, the fact is that they were made in Australia for NZ forces by stokes but at some point they were given out in unknown qty's and worn by Australians as well as the larger size and that is a fact.

NZ badges and titles have some fantastic designs, what is the best NZ reference book, I have a black soft cover book by Oldman or Oldham??
the pics within it are not very clear in details any better publications around?
Old 28-03-14, 06:19 PM

If you cannot see the attached photo ,I suggest going to the New Zealand section of this forum ,I have it posted there .

I proved the doubters wrong there .I am 100% convinced now that that the small Stokes made numerals were worn by New Zealand soldiers (in small numbers mind) in the reinforcement drafts .New Zealand soldiers also wore other Australian made (Stokes) shoulder titles .I believe that some the shoulder titles/numerals were purchased by the government to supplement the supply of J R Gaunt London, and locally made titles .

If they were also worn by Australian soldiers is not my concern. Perhaps you should show your photographic evidence to disprove your Australian doubters as I did my Kiwi ones ,as photographic evidence is key

As far as New Zealand badge reference books go ,David Corbett's 1981 published book ''Badges and Insignia of the New Zealand Army'' stands out as the best reference book in its genre .While it has some inaccuracies ,it still is the best publication so far .Lets hope some one takes up the mantle one day and updates the information learned in subsequent time .

Last edited by pukman; 28-03-14 at 06:27 PM.