British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-22, 08:08 PM

Default Are All Royal Air Force 1918 Medical Cap Badges Fake?

I don't particularly collect Royal Flying Corps or WW1 era RAF badges, but for years have seen the '1918 Medical Branch Cap Badge' sold on websites, ebay, by dealers, and have had one or two myself here and there.

These badges were the 2nd type of medical badge authorised for the Royal Air Force. The 1st Type was a winged caduceus (Rod of Mercury) in gilt or bronze, authorised for wear from 1st May 1918 under Air Force Memo No. 2, but they lasted only weeks before the 2nd Type replaced it, introduced at the end of May 1918under Air Ministry Weekly Order A.162/18. The 2nd Type was a 'Crux of Ansata' (Ankh cross) with single entwined snake, within a wreath surmounted by a crown. Below there was a scroll with motto ‘Nec Aspera Terrent’ (‘Nor do Difficulties Deter’). These were worn in gilt or bronze by officers only until 1920, when they were replaced by the 3rd Type (a winged Caduceus, surmounted by a crown, as worn by the Corporal, and which is still used today), although Airmen continued to wear them until 1932 when they were also authorised to wear the 3rd Type.

But for years there have been dozens of examples for sale of the 2nd Type, in both brass and bronze, with a slider (the collar badges having lugs), often with a rough, almost sand cast finish, which have been sold as cap badges.

As can be seen by the photo, the normal RAF Airman's cap badge was worn, the collar badges denoting the trade. So, are all the slidered versions fakes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R.A.F. Airman, Medical Branch 1919 - 1924.jpg (55.4 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 24th may 1935.jpg (54.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 18-02-22, 10:45 PM

I have noticed that there seems to be an abundance of the 2nd pattern cap badges as well, which is why I've not gone for one. Just can't believe there are that many floating around and agree some do indeed look crude and sand cast. If I knew how to tell a good one and saw one, I'd go for it.

Love the pictures Padre!!!

Terry
Old 18-02-22, 11:00 PM

I was under the impression these were collars so should only ever be on loops.

Every slidered badge I’ve seen is a fake from the Martin Marsh catalogue.
Old 19-02-22, 04:59 AM

Hi Padre

I believe you summed it up very well and Yes, there are genuine ones out there. I have an officers gilt collar (2nd pattern) and an OR gm collar as well.

All the slidered ones are fakes and most looped ones are also fake. they usually have appearance of sand casting with solid crown.

here is a link to a post i placed a few years back showing the officers collar badge https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=52769

Regards
Steven

Last edited by Milmed; 19-02-22 at 05:27 AM.
Old 19-02-22, 05:04 AM

OK, so a good early RAF Medical cap badge would have a voided crown and lugs?

Thanks,

Terry
Old 19-02-22, 06:38 AM

I was under the impression that they were only collar badges and the medical staff only wore the RAF cap badges, as in the photo.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 19-02-22, 07:47 AM

I am glad this post came up so I have checked my 2 RAF Medical badges, GM & BZE and both have sliders so both fake. I will keep them until I find replacements with lugs, loops, etc.
engr9266
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 19-02-22, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
OK, so a good early RAF Medical cap badge would have a voided crown and lugs?

Thanks,

Terry
Terry, Not a cap badge. These were only collars as identified in the posts by various members.

As Alex pointed out and seen on the photographs. The cap badge is standard RAF pattern.
Old 19-02-22, 10:04 AM

Another link to past post showing the common fake. This one has an added makers name to further deceive would be purchasers.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hlight=medical
Old 19-02-22, 04:41 PM

Thanks, I didn't realize it was just a collar, so that explains the lugs. The bogus ones I've seen are often listed as cap badges!!!

So glad to be a member of this forum!

Terry
Old 20-02-22, 07:33 AM

Here are mine, I don't have a photo of the back of the bronze one (hopefully it is genuine).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0761.jpg (46.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0762.jpg (40.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01798.jpg (68.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 20-02-22, 10:42 AM

Hi Alex,
Gilt officers collar is good but unfortunately the bronze one is one of the common fakes. Notice the sand casting pebbling to the flat areas of the badge and the solid crown.

Steven
Old 20-02-22, 10:56 AM

I agree with Milmed, it is the closed crown Marsh fake unfortunately. Sadly these are found on both sliders and loops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B26306CF-F96B-471D-80CB-5A43052414F8.jpeg (48.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 20-02-22, 11:12 AM

Thanks guys. Pity about the bronze. I got that about 25 years ago without even knowing what it was....thought it was an RAMC variation.
Old 20-02-22, 08:20 PM

Re: Are All Royal Air Force 1918 Medical Cap Badges Fake?

It would be truer statement to say that all Royal Air Force 1918 Medical “Cap” Badges are misdescribed, as they are collar badges.

A second statement could be that a large percentage of that type badge described as either a collar badge or a cap badge are some form of fake, however there are some genuine version out there.

I’d be bold enough to say if it has a slider, then it’s a copy.