British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-04-21, 10:31 AM

Default WW1 RAF - medals Lt W.Wood

Calling on the help of forum members ( again ! ). I've been helping to clear out my deceased brother in laws lock up - and came across a mint pair of WW1 medals still in the original envelope to Lt W Wood RAF. The officer was nothing to do with my brother in laws family but I think he was an executor of the estate of a relative of Lt Wood and whether he intended to give them to the family and never got around to it or tried to find them and couldn't - I just don't know. So I'd like to find out more about Lt Wood and try and reunite the medals with the family. I think his full name was Wilfred Frank Wood. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1656.jpg (66.5 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by gurkharifles; 10-04-21 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-04-21, 04:11 PM

Here is all that I know about Wilfred Frank Wood:-
He was born in April 1894 and appears to have been the only child of Frank and Ada Wood of 23 Berkley Road, Bishopston, Bristol.
He enlisted into the Royal Flying Corps in Bristol on 23rd September 1915.
Somewhat bizarrely his occupation was stated to be "Bank Clerk and Motor Cyclist"
Allocated service number 8918
Appointed Aircraft Mechanic 1st Class 1/2/1916
Promoted Corporal 1/2/1916
Promoted Acting Sgt 25/3/1916
Promoted Sgt 1/6/1916
Promoted Flight Sgt 1/9/1916
Commissioned Second Lieutenant 1/6/1917
No record that I can find of any aircrew qualifications, appears to have been a technical officer serving with 38 Squadron in France.
In 1918 he spent time in hospital (for what, I don't know) after which he was sent home to the UK with a recommendation for "Home Service Ground Duties only"
He married Doris Lilian Smith at Clifton All Saints Church on 15th June 1921.
He died on 19th March 1970 whilst residing at 2 Western Mansions, Birnbeck, Weston Super Mare leaving estate valued at £295.
Doris Lilian Wood appears to have died in Bristol on 12th April 1984.
Neither Wilfred nor Doris's probate listings give any clues as to other family members.
That might give you a chance but realistically with a relatively common name like Wood (marrying someone with the surname Smith) I don't hold out much hope !

PL
Old 10-04-21, 04:49 PM

Fascinating and all within a few hours.
Old 10-04-21, 04:55 PM

Many thanks for this - I've established that his son Wilfred Duncan Wood ( TV Producer ) was the one who's estate my brother in law was the executor for. Duncan married twice but I don't think he had any children so there maybe no family to pass the medals onto. I might sell the medals and donate the funds to a military charity if I can't find any surviving family . Tim
Old 30-05-21, 10:34 AM

Default Selling them/

I've now exhausted my searches for surviving relatives - so I've decided to sell them on ebay - I had a number of enquiries from forum members before - so I thought the fairest why to realise the value of them was to put them to auction with 100% of the proceeds going to the Gurkha Welfare Trust. I've made a point in the listing, to thank forum members for their help in researching Lt Woods - and I trust they'll go to a good home. Tim
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133775640382