British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-01-21, 11:09 AM

Default Commonwealth War Graves Commission - Volunteer

A few months ago I posted about an unusual war grave that I'd stumbled upon in a local cemetery https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ight=war+grave
I went to the CWGC web site to do some further research and became aware of their "eyes on hands on" volunteer programme. Essentially they get volunteers to visit what they call the "scattered graves" - in local churchyards - photograph the headstones and report back their condition and if required clean them and do light maintenance around the foliage. To cut a long story short I joined the programme and I am now "responsible" for 20 cemeteries in my vicinity with some 74 war graves. Only 43 of those have CWGC headstones which we have direct care for - the rest are private memorials owned by the families but still registered as a Commonwealth War Grave. I've been using my "1 hour of exercise time" to visit the cemeteries and report back ( cleaning get not be done without the appropriate training - which is on hold due to the virus) - but it's been fascinating to research "my" graves and a privilege to be associated with the CWGC. It's sometimes difficult to find the private memorials and they are often in a poor state of repair and you appreciate even more the genius of the Commission's early vision of uniformity, equality, and longevity for the war cemeteries. I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of two graves in one cemetery (Yatton) - The first is a private memorial - which must have very impressive in it's day to Henry Matthew Baber - Colour Sergt of the Shropshire Light Infantry who died in 1915 aged 56. The body of his son William Herbert Baber ( Private 24th Btn London Regt) was laid to rest alongside him the following year when he died in Cardiff Hospital from wounds received at High Wood in France - sadly the body of his 9 year old daughter was laid to rest alongside both of them the following year. One can only imagine the grief of the Mother. The memorial as you can see is in a sad state with the cross broken and laid down. In contrast you can see the headstone of Private P. Payne RAMC who was killed in 1918 aged 21and is buried only a few paces from the Babers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1459.jpg (118.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1460 (1).jpg (121.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1462.jpg (121.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1468.jpg (119.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 25-01-21, 12:24 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for an interesting and informative post.

I used to work in a hospital in Harefield and visited the local cemetery which contains mainly WW1 Australian War Graves :

"Harefield (St. Mary) Churchyard contains war graves from both world wars. There are 120 First World War graves, mostly those of Australians who died in No. 1 Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Harefield Park. Uniquely, their graves are marked by scroll shaped headstones, chosen by the staff and patients at the hospital. In the centre of the Australian plot stands a memorial obelisk which was erected by Sir Francis Newdegate, late Governor of Tasmania and of Western Australia, and Mr. C.A.M. Billyard-Leake, of Harefield Park. The churchyard also contains six graves of the Second World War."

The local schools regularly take the kids to visit and give them an insight into the history of the brave soldiers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harefield.jpg (97.1 KB, 19 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 25-01-21, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Thanks for an interesting and informative post.

I used to work in a hospital in Harefield and visited the local cemetery which contains mainly WW1 Australian War Graves :

"Harefield (St. Mary) Churchyard contains war graves from both world wars. There are 120 First World War graves, mostly those of Australians who died in No. 1 Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Harefield Park. Uniquely, their graves are marked by scroll shaped headstones, chosen by the staff and patients at the hospital. In the centre of the Australian plot stands a memorial obelisk which was erected by Sir Francis Newdegate, late Governor of Tasmania and of Western Australia, and Mr. C.A.M. Billyard-Leake, of Harefield Park. The churchyard also contains six graves of the Second World War."

The local schools regularly take the kids to visit and give them an insight into the history of the brave soldiers.

Mike
Out of interest, what date span are the graves?
The Aussie plot at Brockenhurst are predominantly 1919 dated, suggesting either ‘long time wounded’ or Flu victims.
Also, is there a service held there on Australia day, as there are at some other CWGC sites ?
T
Old 25-01-21, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crest-insignia View Post
Out of interest, what date span are the graves?

Also, is there a service held there on Australia day, as there are at some other CWGC sites ?
T
Earliest 1916 , latest 1920 but mainly 1917/18. See list below :

https://www.findagrave.com/virtual-c...1#sr-107426497

There is an ANZAC Day service , the local school kids put flowers on every grave.

https://hillingdonlibraries.wordpres...war%20cemetery.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 25-01-21, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
A few months ago I posted about an unusual war grave that I'd stumbled upon in a local cemetery https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ight=war+grave
I went to the CWGC web site to do some further research and became aware of their "eyes on hands on" volunteer programme. Essentially they get volunteers to visit what they call the "scattered graves" - in local churchyards - photograph the headstones and report back their condition and if required clean them and do light maintenance around the foliage. To cut a long story short I joined the programme and I am now "responsible" for 20 cemeteries in my vicinity with some 74 war graves. Only 43 of those have CWGC headstones which we have direct care for - the rest are private memorials owned by the families but still registered as a Commonwealth War Grave. I've been using my "1 hour of exercise time" to visit the cemeteries and report back ( cleaning get not be done without the appropriate training - which is on hold due to the virus) - but it's been fascinating to research "my" graves and a privilege to be associated with the CWGC. It's sometimes difficult to find the private memorials and they are often in a poor state of repair and you appreciate even more the genius of the Commission's early vision of uniformity, equality, and longevity for the war cemeteries. I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of two graves in one cemetery (Yatton) - The first is a private memorial - which must have very impressive in it's day to Henry Matthew Baber - Colour Sergt of the Shropshire Light Infantry who died in 1915 aged 56. The body of his son William Herbert Baber ( Private 24th Btn London Regt) was laid to rest alongside him the following year when he died in Cardiff Hospital from wounds received at High Wood in France - sadly the body of his 9 year old daughter was laid to rest alongside both of them the following year. One can only imagine the grief of the Mother. The memorial as you can see is in a sad state with the cross broken and laid down. In contrast you can see the headstone of Private P. Payne RAMC who was killed in 1918 aged 21and is buried only a few paces from the Babers.
Thank you for a great post.

Chris