British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-04-21, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
The Borderers may be good, see here:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=188959
Hmmm that is very interesting...
Old 12-04-21, 04:25 PM

Cool KOSB badge

Well I still have my one, maybe it will go in the "not sure" box.

Rob
Old 14-04-21, 08:55 AM

Default KOSB badge

Alex, The thread you posted has me confused, it states King's Own Scottish Borderers 1915–1918 ORs’ Tam-O’-Shanter and Glengarry badge in brass, the one shown is in white metal as is my one and the badge in question.

Rob
Old 14-04-21, 03:39 PM

Hi Lisa and Rob,

Thank you for pointing out my error, copy and post the reason, I have amended the text.
There were White Metal and Brass examples of this striking, I do have a brass example of the same mould with the Lion and Crown 'Dog & Bonnet' unpicked, as I said in my text, these were mass produced in 1915 for wear on the TOS.
Your example is clearly a modern striking and you are quite right the lugs are very obviously of a modern structure and fixing substance.
Kind regards
Hiram
Old 14-04-21, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Brass WW1 badge? Why was this made?

Alan
Old 14-04-21, 06:44 PM

Default KOSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderer View Post
Hi Lisa and Rob,

Thank you for pointing out my error, copy and post the reason, I have amended the text.
There were White Metal and Brass examples of this striking, I do have a brass example of the same mould with the Lion and Crown 'Dog & Bonnet' unpicked, as I said in my text, these were mass produced in 1915 for wear on the TOS.
Your example is clearly a modern striking and you are quite right the lugs are very obviously of a modern structure and fixing substance.
Kind regards
Hiram
Thank you for taking the time in looking at my post, it is most helpful... I’m getting rather a collection of fake / restrikes in stead of the real things lol
This well now reside with my others for reference only pile.
Old 15-04-21, 03:42 PM

I have no idea why brass was used other than the fact that I would suspect that it was ready available and cheaper than white metal.

I have attached the photograph I took in the Hooge museum on the Menin Road on my last visit which illustrates the KOSB badges in question beautifully, one in white metal and other in brass both from the same mould and both showing the Lion & Crown unpicked.

Best
Hiram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bruges 037.jpg (56.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 15-04-21, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Not everything in museums is original unfortunately and those badges are both not of a design I would recognise as WW1. There was not an official all brass KOSB badge authorised for production.

There are a number of DDay museums in Normandy with donations of badges which are not contemporary and these 2 are probably the same in my opinion. Just my view but I would not have them in my WW1 collection.
Old 15-04-21, 07:05 PM

A KOSB I bought back in March 1988 for £3 when I still believed that there were more regiments badges produced as WWI brass economies than there were.
A nicely shaped little badge with hefty feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210415_161904~2.jpg (47.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20210415_161919~2.jpg (53.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20210415_161933~2.jpg (53.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 15-04-21, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Not everything in museums is original unfortunately and those badges are both not of a design I would recognise as WW1. There was not an official all brass KOSB badge authorised for production.

There are a number of DDay museums in Normandy with donations of badges which are not contemporary and these 2 are probably the same in my opinion. Just my view but I would not have them in my WW1 collection.
I remember some of the WWI museums in France displaying anodised aluminium and very obvious fakes amongst their decent stuff, decades ago.
Old 15-04-21, 07:24 PM

Cool Fakes in glass cases

Quote:

Unfortunately many people involved in museums are not badge experts, some years ago I visited the Suffolk museum at Bury St. Edmund's and asked to see the badges, I was taken to a room with the wall covered in frames of badges, very few Suffolk Regiment badges and many fakes.

When I asked the curator why they had lots of other Regiments badges I was told they were donated by a lady whose late husband collected them.

Tactfully I asked to see the Suffolk badges and was then led to another room.

This is the future without knowledgeable people . . !

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 15-04-21 at 07:45 PM.
Old 17-04-21, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I beg to differ about there not being a brass King's Own Scottish Borderers cap badge authorised for production, two references 1. page 14 of Scottish Regimental Badges 1793-1971 badge 87 The King's Own Scottish Borderers O/R's World War 1 KC Brass illustrated. 2. See attached photograph of the same badge in the Regimental Museum collection, which by the way the Archivist and Curator is an avid Medal and Badge collector and like myself served in the regiment for over 25 years.

The Hooge museum is not a D Day Museum it is dedicated to WW1 with original trenches within its grounds as is the equipment and artefacts contain within the museum, I have no reason to doubt the curator of the Hooge Museum when he stated that these badges were recovered from the battle field of Passchendaele a few miles up the road, I have also attached some photographs of other items in the museum, also a local farmers out building containing items he has recovered in the last two months from his fields, when I was their.
Best
Hiram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bruges 008.jpg (73.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Bruges 036.jpg (64.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2062.jpg (81.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Bruges 041.jpg (75.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 17-04-21, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

If you are happy with it in your collection then that's fine. For me I would not have one in my collection but that's just my opinion.

Scottish Regtl badges is a very dated an incorrect publication I am afraid.
Old 17-04-21, 09:44 PM

Having visited sanctuary wood the preserved trenches are worse than triggers broom.
Old 18-04-21, 05:21 AM

And going back years ago, it displayed and sold repro British badges.