British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-21, 08:13 AM

Default North Devon Husaars

Gents, whilst I'm happy with this NDH, it appears to be brass that has been 'silvered'. Is this usual, as I assumed the badge should be brass?

Any observations welcome.

Thanks chaps

Bess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210328_090928.jpg (114.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20210328_090936.jpg (112.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20210328_090951.jpg (91.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 28-03-21, 10:49 AM

Default North Devon Husaars

The slider does not appear to be silvered, who knows what strange things happen to badges.

Rob
Old 28-03-21, 10:58 AM

To me, the slider appears to have been silvered but is very worn.
Old 28-03-21, 11:04 AM

Not a badge I would be happy with.

The NDH ceased to be in 1920. If that slider is even 50 years old I’d be surprised.

Sadly NHD badges from this and the Lambourne die have been cast* copied in some cases this is better than others.

Genuine NHD badges came in GM, WM and bronzed finish for ORs.

Last edited by Luke H; 28-03-21 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Corrected typo - case to cast*
Old 28-03-21, 03:08 PM

The photos perhaps don't do it justice. In the hand its reasonably clear that the slider appears to have service wear, on the back and underside. The badge appears struck well, and is heavy in the hand. The silvering makes the slider look clean, I think ( even though I agree with you Luke to a point). The brass is wearing through on the high points on the front where its been cleaned.

Its an odd one.

Thanks everyone.

Bess
Old 28-03-21, 03:18 PM

It’s not particularly odd it’s a very typical cast copy.

It’s also not well struck it’s cast, a cast copy of a genuine badge like mine below.

Look at the difference in thickness of the edges on the reverse. Your badge has lost detail in the casting process in several places. Lastly you can even see the scars of where the reinforcing bar was on the original badge spanning the crown and the monogram.
Old 28-03-21, 03:32 PM

Another cast copy here, a better one, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/North-Dev...e069%7Ciid%3A1

Note the unevenness and pitting of the badge’s surface.

Genuine NDH are scarce badges. Expect to pay £60 or more for a genuine bronzed example. The WM examples for dress uniform are even scarcer, I’ve never seen one sold but would expect at least double that price.
Old 28-03-21, 04:04 PM

May explain why someone has silvered this example.

Thanks for that Luke ��
Old 29-03-21, 12:27 AM

Luke, I do not have an NDH badge, primarily due to confusion with regard to the bronze, GM, and WM variations leading into what is genuine and what is not.
Is there any significance to these metal variants? I gather the WM version would be most likely something to dismiss out of hand if encountered? Should they always be slidered?

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 29-03-21 at 12:39 AM.
Old 29-03-21, 01:07 AM

WM versions were for wear on the coloured forage cap. The bronzed and GM badges were worn on the khaki cap.

The only genuine WM versions I’ve seen were on loops, these are early badges and I would immediately be suspicious of a WM example on a slider. The bronzed and GM versions come with both loop and slider fixings.

Look for one with the reinforced slider and you won’t go far wrong, albeit genuine badges on sliders do exist without the strengthening.

The Lambourne made badges are die cast, whereas the version with the small flaw in the lines on the D should be die stamped.
Old 29-03-21, 01:20 AM

Thanks much for that Luke! I am now at least armed with the knowledge of what to look for. I have been so reticent over the years to take a stab at one.

CB