British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-01-21, 08:42 PM

Question Cambridgeshire Pouch badge

I may have posted this item before, but the membership of the forum keeps increasing and there is just a chance that a member may be able to throw a light on this badge.

A white metal Cambridgeshire badge superimposed on a silver (hallmarked anchor, lion and X) wreath with the maker B&P stamped on it, the badge has two screw posts E-W and was bought from Bosleys a few years back.

I have seen a similar badge with two loops which an old dealer friend of mine sold before I could buy it to another local collector, the lady he bought it from at the antique fair said it was her Father's, but he failed to get her name as she said she had all his paperwork at home which would have been a great help.

The Cambridgeshire museum at Duxford have been donated a similar badge and have asked me if I know what it is as it has eluded them as to the identity.

Over the last thirty years I have asked several old Cambridgeshire's if they have any ideas as to it's purpose, this included telephone calls to a former bandsman, none knew anything of this badge.

There was an album collected by an old member of the Regiment which I borrowed which is now in the Cambridgeshire collection archives and showed photos among others of the 1946 return of the drums from Singapore ceremony. Studying the relevant photos this badge was not evident in any of them.

My thoughts are that this badge and others were made up for a ceremony using the white metal Cambridgeshire cap badge which was a post WWII item with suitably proportioned wreaths. The other one I have seen is not HM silver, hence my thoughts on this being a bespoke item.

As to whether these were officially worn or discarded I would love to know, hence posting this, all ideas and help welcomed.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030228.jpg (85.5 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 25-01-21 at 04:28 PM.