British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-12-20, 09:36 AM

Default HELP!

Hi all,
as a newbie to the world of Military badge collecting I would appear to have immediately committed the cardinal sin of buying from E bay etc fake badges from apparently reputable sellers.
It’s only since reading the posts on this forum do I realise how utterly naive ive been, can anyone offer advice on purchasing authentic badges, my interest is Irish WW1 cap badges from any regiment with an Irish contingent
As a newcomer I am finding it difficult to tell real from fake & don’t want fall into the same trap again, I suspect the majority of my limited collection are duds.

Best regards

Linfield2004
Old 20-12-20, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Linefield2004, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
There are many many threads on fake badges, which you can access to start your research.
Old 20-12-20, 08:43 PM

Hi Linfield2004, been there done that and still weeding!

Loads of help on the Forum, but as you no doubt are finding real Irish badges are hard to find as Everyone is after getting there hands on them and not leaving any for us that come from Northern Ireland! Lots of Copies abound and there are certain things to look out for, but you can still get taken in, the Forum will help you to a degree but nothing better than having the badge in your hands and natural light, looking at photo's on Ebay can be tricky! And pricey in the long run!

You are looking predominantly for pre 1922 Irish Rgt.s Royal Irish Rifles, Royal Irish Fusiliers, Inniskillings and such? Or are you seeking to find those badges which Family members served in?

All the best for now Billy
Old 21-12-20, 07:13 AM

Default Thank you for the reply

Hi Billy,
thank you for the reply, I do have an interest in family members WW1 connections & also the wider Irish links to regiments from around the world.
I honestly had no idea the lengths the unscrupulous E bay dealers will go to to turn a quid even asking for advice on this forum isn’t beyond them!!!
I’m thinking of posting pictures of what I have to date on the site & taking the consequences on the chin, as for trying to collect any YCV, or 36th Ulster Division badges that’s a minefield even with my limited experience !
Old 21-12-20, 05:31 PM

Unfortunately ebay is a poor place to start. It is great if one knows one's badges and can weed out the good from the bad.
As mentioned, Irish badges are some of the most popular amongst collectors, but there are still plenty about.
Reputable dealer sites will usually be much safer, but more expensive as well.
One way to approach this is if you spot a badge on ebay, search it here on the forum first and you will usually get your answer. I do this regularly with badges that I am unfamiliar with and it has saved me many times.

CB
Old 21-12-20, 07:26 PM

Many thanks for replying, I’ll take your advice onboard with regard to future purchases, if by any chance you come across any Irish WW1 badges that are the real McCoy please bear me in mind.

Kind regards

Robert
Old 21-12-20, 07:56 PM

Welcome.

There are plenty of genuine WW1 Irish badges out there in the main. If you list what you’re after members may be able to help directly or point you in the right direction.

Re sourcing badges from dealers websites remember that even the best make mistakes. There is more knowledge contained on this forum and it’s best to look things up on here before buying.

As I always advise: buy the badge, not the seller or their story.
Old 21-12-20, 08:57 PM

Robert not sure if you got my p.m but lost interest in my general line regiments most Irish present all genuine apart from one Leinster . All WW1 brass maker marked Woodward
David

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 23-12-20 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Space between Leinster and ALL
Old 21-12-20, 09:26 PM

Default Bagres

Heres a good place to start forums always been good to me.

Best Mac
Old 21-12-20, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
Robert not sure if you got my p.m but lost interest in my general line regiments most Irish present all genuine apart from one Leinster All WW1 brass maker marked Woodward
David
Hi David
Have I read right you’ve a WW1 all brass economy to the Leinster's maker marked Woodward but is a fake

Gerard

Last edited by gb64; 21-12-20 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 21-12-20, 09:36 PM

Incorrect
David