British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-20, 05:18 PM

Default British Army Parachute Wings

I recently purchased a 1960’s era parachute wing (I am using the Bragg & Turner Parachute Badges and Insignia of the World reference) and am wondering if this was the type of wing that was worn by the Parachute Regiment during that time. Also, is this the type of wing that is still worn? If not, when did it go out of service?

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos but they are as good as I can get them. The backing in the photos appears black but is actually a dark brown.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 15-12-20, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Still worn today and to frank those look like ones issued quite recently and I doubt they are 60 years old.
Old 15-12-20, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Still worn today and to frank those look like ones issued quite recently and I doubt they are 60 years old.
I am okay with them being physically a newer badge. I just like to have an idea of the time frame of the design’s usage so I group them with other badges from the same period.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 16-12-20, 08:53 AM

The design was fixed in 1941. These are more likely 1970's or early 1980's. WW2 made wings were still being Ordinance issued into the 1970's.

I have never seen any summary of when manufacturing of new batches of para wings were commissioned. It might be possible to estimate some of this if all the standard pattern and manufacturer pattern cards in collections could be brought together and the withdrawal names and dates brought together. That would be a useful piece of work.

Best regards,
Andy
Old 16-12-20, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiseboyz3 View Post
I recently purchased a 1960’s era parachute wing (I am using the Bragg & Turner Parachute Badges and Insignia of the World reference) and am wondering if this was the type of wing that was worn by the Parachute Regiment during that time. Also, is this the type of wing that is still worn? If not, when did it go out of service?

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos but they are as good as I can get them. The backing in the photos appears black but is actually a dark brown.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
The wing pictured is certainly genuine and good for the 1980s. When the CS95 uniform started to be issued in the late 1990s I noticed that the issued wings had altered in that the bit at the bottom of the rigging lines became fatter and more noticeable and the backing material washed out quickly (photo with grey background). The issue now is similar (see photo with red background). Note that there has been a reversion to the light blue wings used in the 1960s, as opposed to the more mauve version used in the 1980s. Lastly, I attach a trimmed 1960s wing. Hope that helps.
Old 16-12-20, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farang View Post
The design was fixed in 1941. These are more likely 1970's or early 1980's. WW2 made wings were still being Ordinance issued into the 1970's.

I have never seen any summary of when manufacturing of new batches of para wings were commissioned. It might be possible to estimate some of this if all the standard pattern and manufacturer pattern cards in collections could be brought together and the withdrawal names and dates brought together. That would be a useful piece of work.

Best regards,
Andy
Thank you for the information Andy
Old 17-12-20, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post
The wing pictured is certainly genuine and good for the 1980s. When the CS95 uniform started to be issued in the late 1990s I noticed that the issued wings had altered in that the bit at the bottom of the rigging lines became fatter and more noticeable and the backing material washed out quickly (photo with grey background). The issue now is similar (see photo with red background). Note that there has been a reversion to the light blue wings used in the 1960s, as opposed to the more mauve version used in the 1980s. Lastly, I attach a trimmed 1960s wing. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the information Colin. I think my wing is most like the one in the centre photo (red background).
Old 17-12-20, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiseboyz3 View Post
Thanks for the information Colin. I think my wing is most like the one in the centre photo (red background).
Yours is definitely late 1970s / early 1980s. The wing I showed on a red background is the current FAD issue. The poor quality photograph doesn’t show it well, but the backing colour of the wing has a tinge of brown (to match the new FAD uniform) and the wings are a lighter blue than yours.
Old 18-12-20, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post
Yours is definitely late 1970s / early 1980s. The wing I showed on a red background is the current FAD issue. The poor quality photograph doesn’t show it well, but the backing colour of the wing has a tinge of brown (to match the new FAD uniform) and the wings are a lighter blue than yours.
Thanks again Colin