British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-21, 02:59 PM

Default Wiltshire Cadets

Placed my Wiltshire Cadets in an album Insignia a bit 'thin '' on the ground
Lt Coln R J Wyatt very kindly supplied information in 1982 regarding the various units
Would welcome an information on insignia of
Bishop Wordsworth school -4/3/1917 affiliated 1/4 Wilts from sept 1917
Walton House school affiliated 4 Wilts
2 units were church lads Brigade -Salisbury area would these have worn the area number on the Pill box hat or just the normal church lads badge
Dauntsey school They had 2 variations of the shoulder title ,a letter 1982 from major J A Barrow would indicated that they wore the normal Wiltshire cap badge Is this correct
Board of present cadets
Interested to purchase any Wiltshire related items
David
Old 06-01-21, 06:40 PM

If they did the same as my detachment it appears to be the badge rather than number.

The badge remained after they adopted the CLB version of Khaki Service Dress. After 1917 most detachments would presumably have worn the KRRC Badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLB Trowbridge.jpg (81.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-01-21, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

The KRRC were a London regt and whilst the London based KRRC CLB cadets did have a badge this was not universally adopted by the CLB. I would have thought that the Wiltshire CLB would have retained the CLB abdges even on khaki,
Old 06-01-21, 07:39 PM

Many thanks both for your replies I have revisited R J Wyatt notes that he sent me -
3rd Salisbury Cadet Corps ,Church Lads Brigade -22/4/1912 retitled 1st Salisbury [Wiltshire ] C.Bn CLB [KRRC]IN Sept 1919 Must admit that I have never understood the ref to K R R C as Alan O said would expect to be CLB badged
David

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 06-01-21 at 08:00 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-01-21, 07:44 PM

I do have a church lads brigade pill box hat with no 24 in white metal Is there any lists of which could help identify the unit/area this is from
Old 06-01-21, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

I would expect the 1st (Salisbury) Cadet Battalion to be wearing either CLB badges or Wiltshire badges. An Army List for 1919/20 might show that the KRRC is surious.
Old 06-01-21, 09:25 PM

I have reference to KRRC Cadets winning a shooting competion in Trowbridge in the early 1920's so they were definately KRRC badged. The Trowbridge CLB Detachment joined the Cadet Scheme in about 1912. During WW1 a second Cadet Force Detachment was raised in Trowbridge badged to the 1/4 Wiltshire Regiment.

The CLB had very close ties with the KRRC and had their own affliated Battalion the 16th Service Battalion in which many ex-members served and died. A fellow collector possibly on here refered me to Army Order 128 in 1917 under which the CLB became afliated to the KRRC and had their own version of their cap badge.

Hence unless others are going to correct me late war CLB Cadet Detachments would either be wearing the cadet version of the KRRC Badge or retaining the CLB Cap Badge. Affliation to the KRRC was optional but I am not aware of any other Regimental affliations within the CLB.
Old 02-02-21, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
I do have a church lads brigade pill box hat with no 24 in white metal Is there any lists of which could help identify the unit/area this is from
I would appreciate you posting a picture of the CLB Pill Box Hat. The number 24 is a battalion number but I need to consult my lists tomorrow evening as I am not at home tonight.
My avatar shows the St Martin's Banner, which was dedicated to all those from the Church Lads Brigade who were killed in the 1st World War, some 20,000 men. It is in the safe keeping of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster Abbey.
Old 02-02-21, 12:56 AM

Default CLB badges

Regarding the badges worn in the CLB...
From 1890s to c.1913 CLB lads wore a large oval badge on a pill box hat.
From 1911 CLB companies sought recognition as Cadet Corps and from 1913 had the option of wearing khaki service dress...most did.
A smaller oval badge (similar design) was introduced for the khaki cap.
From 1917, the CLB was affiliated to the KRRC and CLB lads wore the KRRC CLB Cadets blackened cap badge.
In 1930, the Government withdrew cadet recognition which meant the CLB lads were no longer entitled to wear the KRRR CLB Cadets badge.
They reverted to the brass oval badge.
I have two albums of CLB badges on this forum. Have a look.
My avatar shows the St Martin's Banner, which was dedicated to all those from the Church Lads Brigade who were killed in the 1st World War, some 20,000 men. It is in the safe keeping of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster Abbey.
Old 02-02-21, 01:09 AM

Default CLB badges

CLB
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=176

London CLB
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=893
Old 02-02-21, 06:51 PM

conijoni as p.m photo in album and gallery To help photo is album cover