British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-12-20, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Jerry,
I would give the slider where the fracture is a coating of a strong adhesive like araldite on both on top and underneath and make sure it sets hard, this will at least reinforce the point of stress.

Rob
Sounds like a good plan, that would make it easier to mount it one day.

Jerry
Old 18-12-20, 04:13 PM

Question Bent slider

Jerry, if you feel really brave after the glue has set hard with a pair of long nosed pliers grip the slider where it joins the top of the badge and gently ease it back to where it should be, if not leave as is with glue reinforcements.

Only a suggestion . . !

Rob
Old 18-12-20, 04:53 PM

Personally I wouldn’t do any of that.

If you araldite it etc. it’ll look like a glue job.

Also if you try bending it back after glueing and the metal gives out (entirely possible) then it really will be a glue job - significantly devalued and unsightly.

The badge must be what, 50-60 years old, leave it alone and I guarantee it’ll look the same and still be intact in 100 years time for the next custodian.

If you wanted to mount it there’s enough of a gap between the slider and badge for thin baize or very thin card without putting any stress on the slider. If the rest of the board or backing material is thicker in such cases I cut it away to facilitate the mounting of delicate badges. This is the way forward I think.

Sorry this has happened btw. I had a Lincs Imperial Yeo arrive today with the loops sticking through the envelope! Thankfully no last damage done but they’re shiny copper now.
Old 18-12-20, 10:46 PM

Cool Adhesive

Perhaps I should not have mentioned Araldite, use "Sick and Fix", a strong adhesive that is clear.

Rob
Old 21-12-20, 11:14 AM

Jerry,
I have a similar issue with a factory made BLACK UDR cap badge in anodised aluminium. A rare badge, but the slider is almost about to come away at the bend/stress point.

I managed to ease it onto a piece of firm black foam (an oblong shape that the badge sits over) which gave the whole thing support - so basically am resigned to the fact that this is how it will live out its days.. . . . . effectively disabled.

Cant really be mounted in any significant/satisfactory way, but at least it has remained integral.

All the very best all

Bess
Old 21-12-20, 11:19 AM

Bess,

I have managed to slide it onto a piece of card and it will be fine but not ideal.

The fact it was triple marked Firmin makes it an uncommon example though perhaps not rare but a shame it was damaged

Jerry