British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-09-19, 12:55 PM

Default Hudson's Horse!!!

There is a silvered cap badge on eBay from endici to Hudson's Horse. The name of the regiment is Hodson's Horse. Whoever faked it is bad at spelling. I've just warned Paul about it as he may have not realised it. It otherwise looks like a pretty decent badge. Scary..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/India-Hud.../383156877887?

Thankfully no bids on it yet.

Last edited by Khyber; 23-09-19 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Fix spelling
Old 23-09-19, 02:01 PM

I agree. This is one of the fundamental difficulties with cast badges compared to die stamped. Often the reverse die and quality of strike or construction will be an indicator something’s awry.

The back of this looks very convincing.

The crown with its all rectangular and evenly spaced jewels in the band is very reminiscent of mistakes on many of the Marsh catalogue fakes. I know the later editions had some more colonial badges. I will check tonight if this is amongst them. Even if not I would strongly suspect they were made by the same hand.

When I get a chance, hopefully later this week I’ll make a start on the 3 volume catalogue album.
Old 23-09-19, 02:23 PM

It looks as if someone is confused. Every Victorian schoolboy knew that Hodson had the horse and that Hudson had the soap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111.jpg (57.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 23-09-19, 11:09 PM

Appears that someone didn't read too well as it sold.
I have collected Indian Army badges on and off for over 30 years now and they are problematic indeed as one cannot judge them via British badge standards.
The badge in question is of course erroneous and likely a fake; not only the spelling, but the "silver" mark is nothing I have seen on Indian cast badges.

CB
Old 23-09-19, 11:37 PM

I couldn’t find it in the 3 volume catalogue. Albeit my eyes are rather tired. Did find a couple other interesting badges however.
Old 24-09-19, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Appears that someone didn't read too well as it sold.
I have collected Indian Army badges on and off for over 30 years now and they are problematic indeed as one cannot judge them via British badge standards.
The badge in question is of course erroneous and likely a fake; not only the spelling, but the "silver" mark is nothing I have seen on Indian cast badges.

CB
I had warned Paul yesterday that it was a fake. I hope he will do the right thing. I haven't heard from him yet.
Indian badges are indeed problematic especially the cast ones ..A lot of fakes/copies around..
Old 24-09-19, 12:19 AM

I’m sure he’ll reply and take it down, always has when I’ve told him items are fakes or spurious. He’s admittedly not the quickest at replying and it sometimes takes him several days to read and answer emails/texts but in my experience he always gets there in the end and seems a genuine bloke who relies on the big auction houses to vet items. Therefore I reckon this will have come through Marlow’s or Bosley’s.
Old 24-09-19, 01:23 AM

As a matter of interest, Rod Flood, (Minden Militaria) currently has one of these on his site.

The differences between the two are obvious.

Regards.

Brian
Old 24-09-19, 03:33 PM

Here is a good one, however the quality on these vary considerably, as virtually all locally made badges do, so that one cannot compare others to this as a definitive reference.

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8734.JPG (78.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8735.JPG (84.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 25-09-19, 10:53 AM

Paul from endici has just written to me to say he got it along with a batch of Indian badges and he thought it was an obscure volunteer regiment..Not surprised since he's not well up on Indian regiments....fair enough ..I have dealt with him many times before and have found him to be quite honest

funnily enough he says someone from India has bought it..I know most of the regular collectors so will check it out and let them know... I think most people missed the spelling mistake.. I did do when I saw it earlier and had it on my watch list and only spotted the typo on the last day!
Old 25-09-19, 05:06 PM

I think that the most obvious point with this badge is it's reverse, it looks brand new and completely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
There is a silvered cap badge on eBay from endici to Hudson's Horse. The name of the regiment is Hodson's Horse. Whoever faked it is bad at spelling. I've just warned Paul about it as he may have not realised it. It otherwise looks like a pretty decent badge. Scary..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/India-Hud.../383156877887?

Thankfully no bids on it yet.