British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-15, 05:14 PM

Default King's Regiment cap badge variations

I am compiling a list of KLR cap badges 1881-1958 (but 1967 for TA) based on official WO Patterns but with variations I am terming ‘types’ and ‘sub-types’. Every one that I have has been measured and weighed and I am in the process of photographing both sides of them too.

I know of over 300 hundred different badges so far. There are undoubtedly a few variations out there that I don’t yet know about. However there are a number that I suspect may exist !

I would be grateful therefore to collectors who might know of the existence and whereabouts of the following;

Regular battalions
1896 Pattern, officer’s S&G – marked Firmin

1926 Pattern OSD – die struck
(I saw one of these on EBay a few years ago but dismissed it at the time. I know have reason to believe that there are genuine die struck OSDs out there)

1926 Pattern, type 3 BM (short tail with crooked legs) – with braseing holes

1950 Pattern (often but erroneously called a ‘beret badge’) – Gaunt marked WITH braseing holes.

How many different 1926 Pattern variations are known chromed ??? (I know of three)

TA badges
7th Bn, 1926 Pattern Type 1 (long tail with straight hind legs), WM – with slider

If anyone out there has one of these would they be kind enough to supply me with a (vertical parallel) photograph of both sides and with measurements and weights. I would later ask for permission to include them in the book that will result from this study. (unless you want to sell them to me !)

Or if anyone knows of any other odd variations –strictly cap badges within the said time frame.

Many thanks in advance
J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1926 King's.jpg (35.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 25-07-15, 05:25 PM

Julian,

I'm not sure I can help with finding examples of the badges you are looking for but I'm fairly sure there will be members than can help.

In response to your comment
"1926 Pattern OSD – die struck (I saw one of these on EBay a few years ago but dismissed it at the time. I now have reason to believe that there are genuine die struck OSDs out there)"

I agree, I know of examples of die struck York and Lancs OSD badges, they weren't all cast.

Good luck with your serach.

Ivan
Old 25-07-15, 06:02 PM

Hi Julian,

I can't offer much help but want to compliment you on a great project and wish you every luck.

I just have one Kings badge in my collection (link below), you probably don't need it but happy to share details/images if you do.

All the best, Roy.

Link to my badge: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=116265

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 25-07-15, 06:18 PM

May I just add that we are all aware that there are many, many dodgy badges out there but KLR mentions 300 different badges to just one regiment that he knows of, so if you come across a badge that does not appear to be the same as badges illustrated in Gaylor or Kipling and King or other books, or does not appear to be of a quality that you would expect, don't dispose of it, put it on one side. You never know you might eventually find that you have an example of a rare badge.

I am still kicking myself over some of the items I have let go in the past.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-07-15, 06:22 PM

Hi Peter,

Very well put. I know we all like to get confirmation form published books but just because a badge hasn't been seen or recorded before doesn't necessarily mean it is duff. I think we have all let things pass us by and regretted it later. Sometimes it's worth just taking a risk and playing the long odds

Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 25-07-15, 06:24 PM
Former Member

Julian,
I've a stack of variations, some you've not seen! I'll have to send you some images before you decide to go to print!

Andy
Old 25-07-15, 07:25 PM

Thank you all !

The 300+ that I refer to are in my (modest) collection as well as other private (including Peter's) and public collections.
I'm probably more interested in obtaining details of every variation rather than (optimistically) obtaining examples for my own collection. I work in a museum and get a thrill from finding something new and am proud that the museum has such an object. I write books about our (museum) collections - so moving to my hobby (KLR badges) is an extension of the same thing !

Thank you Ivan for confirming that there are die struck OSDs out here.

Thank you Andy (who was kind enough to show me his collection last year), I look forward to seeing "more variations" !
I doubt if I will be publishing anything (on KLR) very soon; I still have a few years of employment (with lots of publication commitments) and there is still a bit more KLR documentary work as well as chasing up known examples.
julian
Old 25-07-15, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Julian

This Kings thing is all well and good but where is the 1916 economy article? We have been waiting in anticipation for years.

Alan
Old 25-07-15, 07:35 PM
Former Member

Alan,
You're not the only one getting on his case about this one! I've got all the hardware ready to back his theoretical work and a well earned credit to the person who inspired him but is sadly no longer with us!

Andy
Old 25-07-15, 08:42 PM

It missed the May issue but will be in the August issue. It's not 'theoretical', it's based on secure documentary evidence !
I'm working on Part 2 - the Territorial etc side, but larger projects such as KLR and other 1st WW projects are part of an ongoing process ! (and there are some very exciting projects at work - on things a tad earlier than cap badges !)
Old 26-07-15, 06:45 AM
Former Member

Sorry Julian a slip of the finger I should of course have stated documentary evidence!

Andy