British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-11, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Brian, from what I can remember of a conversation with a WWI veteran in my family's pub in the 1960's, he said that the Essex badge that he wore had the SA Hons scroll.

I don't know which Btn he was in, but I can remember him talking about being in the Middle East fighting the Turks etc. I don't know whether this is of any use unless you find out which Essex TF were in the middle east.
Good evening Rob.

Sorry this reply is a tad delayed, but I've not had much opportunity to make enquiries or undertake any research recently.

However, I have done so now and discovered that each of the 4 btns wearing this particular badge, 4th - 7th, all served in The Middle East, taking part in the Suvla Bay landings and Gallipoli and then onwards to Egypt and Palestine.

I don't believe that any of them saw service on The Western Front.

I have been informed that some research is being undertaken into dates of manufacture of the 4th - 7th badge, which could possibly have been until 1916 only.

So, at the moment, we're left with theories and possibilities as to why there are so few of the SA scrolled badges.

If I find anything further in relation to this, I shall try and post it and give due credit to the person undertaking the research.

Regards
Brian
Old 22-06-11, 07:24 PM

Smile Essex TF

Interesting Brian, now you come to mention it, I never heard this old guy mention the Western Front, I look forward to any further knowledge on the subject arising.

Regards Rob
Old 16-07-14, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.essexregiment.co.uk/8thpre1914.html

This site has been advertised on the forum by its owner looking for photos to use. His figures on the actual numbers in the 8th Bn 1911-14 compared to the number of other Tf bns are illuminating.

Despite what K&K and Gaylor may state, statistically it is impossible that the number of SA Scroll badges compared to the number of blank scroll badges relates to the non cyclist/cyclists split.

Quite simply the number of SA scrolled badges about compared to the number of blank scrolled badges does not match the ratio of bn's members involved.
Old 07-08-15, 10:19 AM

Alan,

This makes sense statistically, and I have often wondered by the SA Scroll is so scarce given it was supposedly worn by four battalions. In the Turkish museum at Gaba Tepe on Gallipoli there is an Essex Regiment badge with blank plinth and the SA scroll, supposedly picked up on the Suvla battlefield. Unfortunately one cannot get to see the rear of the badge as it is in a glass case.

Cheers
Chris
Old 07-08-15, 11:39 AM

Thumbs up

Great thread lads.
Regards Terry
Old 07-08-15, 03:59 PM

Default Essex TF badges

The ones with the S.A, Hons are around, I have had four in the last ten years, so take heart and keep looking.

Rob

Tags
essex, south africa scroll