British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-07-20, 10:10 PM

Default Polish Boys Trained by the Royal Corps of Signals

A rare badge on ebay with an equally rare price. - £1450.00

If someone could post a photo front and back please for future reference that would be helpful.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-Polis...YAAOSwEutexCk3

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges

Last edited by manchesters; 15-07-20 at 08:27 AM.
Old 14-07-20, 10:22 PM

Photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POLISH.jpg (48.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg POLISH 1.jpg (39.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg POLISH 3.jpg (19.9 KB, 20 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 15-07-20, 02:49 AM

I'm pretty sure I can get by without one of those....especially at that price!!!! But not my area of collecting anyway.

Terry
Old 15-07-20, 10:55 AM

Default Polish Boys Trained by Signals.

Dear Friends.

Nice to know I am not the only one who thinks this is a very price heavy badge.

About two years ago now there was one of these (Possibly the one on ebay now) for sale at a Bosleys Auction. I tried to buy it through their telephone auction.

I stopped when I realised that there was one other person bidding and every time I put a bid in the other person just trumped it. When it got to £400 I stopped bidding. The badge went on one increment higher than my bid I think at £420, so with commission I think the final price the winner would have paid was something in the region of £480.

It seems in these inflated times £1450.00 is an awful lot to pay for a badge that was originally thought to be worth £170 by the Auction house at the time. As mentioned above it only went to the winning bidder because I kept upping the price.

One last point. There is one of these available at a auction house that trades in Polish Badges on the web at the moment and the asking price I seem to remember is £1250.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to the person with very deep pockets who purchases it from ebay.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
signalsbadges@gmail.com
Old 15-07-20, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walker View Post
One last point. There is one of these available at a auction house that trades in Polish Badges on the web at the moment and the asking price I seem to remember is £1250.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is the same one !

https://sarmatia-antiques.com/produc...ps-of-signals/

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 16-07-20, 12:16 AM

Quote:
The badge went on one increment higher than my bid I think at £420, so with commission I think the final price the winner would have paid was something in the region of £480.
Bosley’s charge 20% commission which you then have to pay VAT on so with fees £100.80 plus mailboxes P&P and potentially a further credit card fee and/or the-saleroom charge if bidding via them.

So overall the buyer paid £540 minimum I’d say.
Old 16-07-20, 12:44 PM

Default Polish Boys Trained by Royal Signals

Thanks Luke.

Even at a winning price with all the add ons that you suggest Luke the current price of £1450.00 gives a pretty good profit.

I can not see the justification myself but you never know some one may want this badge badly enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Mike-Vee says it is the same badge. Suggest anybody who wants this badge go onto their web site and get it for £200 less than the ebay asking price.

Good luck to some one.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
signalsbadges@gmail.com
Old 16-07-20, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Same images.

Marc
Old 17-07-20, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks Luke.

Even at a winning price with all the add ons that you suggest Luke the current price of £1450.00 gives a pretty good profit.

I can not see the justification myself but you never know some one may want this badge badly enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Mike-Vee says it is the same badge. Suggest anybody who wants this badge go onto their web site and get it for £200 less than the ebay asking price.

Good luck to some one.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
signalsbadges@gmail.com
I would urge anyone considering buying it to have a cold shower and the dealer to take a running jump at that price.

I’m sure it’s a rare badge but from its appearance it strikes me as one that most would not know it’s true value and potentially label it some bizarre Indian made badge and sell for a fiver... you’d have to be lucky but stranger things do happen on eBay, car boot sales, antique shops and odds & sods boxes at fares.

It’s a very dedicated and inordinately wealthy collector who would pay the above sum.
Old 15-08-20, 03:05 PM

I am on the side of those who believe in the validity of the badge in question. Let us hope that some scoundrel does not seize the opportunity to flood the market with Repro’s! I have a good friend who was one of the Junakie in Egypt and has a worthy collection of photo’s concerning them, and the uniforms they wore etc.etc.
I’ve just spoken with him and will be visiting him next week. Perhaps more news of interest for forum members will evolve from that meeting. This Gentleman is also very involved with the “Orlinski” Polish War Museum here in Ontario. Unfortunately, the museum is closed at the moment due to the current “COVID-19 problems. If any forum member is interested in a specific item concerning Polish Operations during WW11, be it Navy, Army or Air Force, including those in service with Allied forces, you may PM me and I will try to get answers to any inquiries. Regards, David J.
Old 20-08-20, 11:14 PM

Further to my post above, I met the Gentleman today who was very interested in the Royal Signals badge. He had served in the Polish Boys camp at Heliopolis which was training boys for trades in the Royal Air Force. He eventually finished up in England at an RAF station doing Aircraft Maintenance. He is an accomplished author and his most recent book (393 pages) concerns the Junaki from their inception in Russia (after the Nazi’s invaded Russia and Polish POW’s were released and offered positions in Polish Regiments in the Russian Army) and through to Iran and finally school/training camps in Egypt and Palestine. Any Polish speaking members of the forum would I’m sure enjoy the exploits of those young Boys and girls who learnt English and a trade in those schools.
The book has a good summary in English but the main text is in Polish.
The Title, were it in English is “ Mlodziez Andreas” or General Anders’ Underage Soldiers 1941-1947, by Henry Radecki. The book has two ISBN numbers,
978-1-927490-13-6. And 978-83-86232-54-3. Regards, D.J.
Old 31-10-21, 06:12 PM

Default POLISH BOYS

Saw this collection for sale today 31/11 at Aldershot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211031_093632244.jpg (83.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211031_093651303.jpg (87.9 KB, 35 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 01-11-21, 02:18 AM

Thank you engr9266 for posting that photo. I will re-post it to Henry Radecki, (see above posts). He will no doubt be very interested and possibly have some information regarding the other badges in the photo. Best regards, David J.
Old 01-11-21, 05:06 PM

the metal POLAND title and Second Corps shields were the product of an enterprising firm Boeri of Rome. the mermaid collar pennon is Second Corps signals. the small mermaid badge was the commemorative Second Corps award which was individually numbered to the serving soldier.
Old 01-11-21, 11:50 PM

One of the cast pocket badges was sold by C&T in the last ten days, hammer price was £400.00.