British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-07-15, 09:52 AM

29th Brigade was reformed in 1939 from the re-named Cairo Brigade - but not for long; redesignated 22nd Brigade. A separate 29th Independent Infantry Brigade established in July 1940 - took part in the invasion of Madagascar in 1942. 1/RSF were in the Brigade in 1940.

Perhaps this picture was taken in Egypt..
Old 18-07-15, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Not in 1/7 King's Liverpool

Tim
Clearly some units did their own thing, but it was neither a general nor an approved practice.
Old 18-07-15, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Clearly some units did their own thing, but it was neither a general nor an approved practice.
Sorry Toby but you are mistaken, old style service dress (from circa 1902 onwards) was worn by OR's with large GS buttons on the front and medium sized buttons on the pockets and epaulettes. It was only when No2 dress uniform was introduced in the 1960s that ORs changed to medium size buttons on the front, pockets and epaulettes. If I'm not mistaken, on KD uniform only medium sized buttons were worn.

PL
Old 19-07-15, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Sorry Toby but you are mistaken, old style service dress (from circa 1902 onwards) was worn by OR's with large GS buttons on the front and medium sized buttons on the pockets and epaulettes. It was only when No2 dress uniform was introduced in the 1960s that ORs changed to medium size buttons on the front, pockets and epaulettes. If I'm not mistaken, on KD uniform only medium sized buttons were worn.

PL
Thanks oc14, I might well have got it wrong and shall be kicking myself for weeks if I have, as I am a regular poster in the Great War Forum section on uniforms and insignia and look at zillions of examples of SD. I shall go and review my images and report back, I do hope it's not the first signs of senility on my part!
Old 19-07-15, 11:12 AM

I have an officers khaki doublet (named to a Lt Col J? L? Thompson) bearing WWI campaign ribbons, Lt Col rank & very heavily polished officer quality buttons - front buttons are greatcoat size.
KD had tunic size front buttons.
Canadian WWI tunics had tunic size front buttons?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150719_120430399.jpg (41.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150719_120458166.jpg (27.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 19-07-15, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I have an officers khaki doublet (named to a Lt Col J? L? Thompson) bearing WWI campaign ribbons, Lt Col rank & very heavily polished officer quality buttons - front buttons are greatcoat size.
KD had tunic size front buttons.
Canadian WWI tunics had tunic size front buttons?
I knew about the officers wearing large buttons, but for some reason thought momentarily that the ORs did not. It seems I was thinking of later uniforms Leigh.
Old 19-07-15, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post

PL
Mea Culpa, PL, God knows where I got that from! I think I was perhaps subconsciously thinking of No2 dress, as you suggest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-7141-1265037673.jpg (79.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg dsc01240ee.jpg (32.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg dsc01241ld.jpg (47.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 19-07-15 at 07:21 PM.