British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-13, 11:50 AM

Default The Waring Identification Pamphlets

I was very pleased recently to obtain what I took to be an original copy of the late Major Warings Identification Pamphlet No.1. The forward says that pamphlet deals with British Regular Army and Territorial Army formation and unit signs.

In discussions with other members it appears that in fact there were a number of "editions" of the Pamphlets and while trying to find something in the Military Historical Society Bulletins ( I dont know why the excellent on line search which was on their web site and on which produced results of a search through all the Bulletins has apparently been removed ) I came across an article in November 1983 Bulletin titled "The John Waring Collection "

The article actually lists 13 pamphlets ( see attached ) and Pamphlet No 1 is described as "British Regular and T.A. cloth formation signs and titles ( Armies through to Units,Corps,Home Guard Units,Special Services,Universities,Colleges and Schools CCF and JTC )"

I know that by todays standards the illustrations in the pamphlets may seem basic but as with K and K when it was first published,the pamphlets were ground breaking in their day and until certain books which I understand are in the course of being compiled are published,these are still an excellent source of infomation which may not be readily available elsewhere.

Whilst I am still pleased to have found the copy of Pamphlet No1 that I now have, I am now on the lookout for the pamphlet with the Home Guard and CCF and JTC etc items illustrated.Any help in locating a copy would be appreciated.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WAring 1.jpg (60.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Waring2.jpg (49.7 KB, 46 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-03-13, 12:35 PM

Peter,
Pamphlet 2 deals with, inter alia, World War 1, Home Guard, Pre- Military Organisations (STC, UTC, OTC, JTC, CCF, ATC), National Titles, Civil Defence and Welfare Services.
You are welcome to borrow my very well-thumbed copy if you wish.
Mike
Old 20-03-13, 02:01 PM

Thanks Mike,

That is very kind. PM sent

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-03-13, 02:02 PM

It's a pity someone doesn't republish them or put them all online. I'm sure there's a lot of useful information in them.
David
Old 20-03-13, 02:13 PM

Default The Waring Identification Pamphlets

doesn't the Military Heraldry Society library have most of these available for members to borrow? Try giving Norman Wolden a ring.He`s the librarian, as you know.
Old 20-03-13, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
It's a pity someone doesn't republish them or put them all online. I'm sure there's a lot of useful information in them.
David
I'm sure that John Waring's widow holds the copyright to the Identification Pamphlets. Postwarden would know for certain.
Mike
Old 20-03-13, 05:14 PM

Interesting correspondence. Mrs Waring gave permission about two years ago for the pamphlets to be republished but the Society is short of funds to do so although I believe that a reprint of Pamphlet One may be in the offing.

Although old-fashioned by today's standards they are still the most comprehensive guide to this fascinating subject.

If anything further happens on reprints I'll let the Forum know.

Jon
Old 20-03-13, 08:25 PM

I think there were more than a dozen pamphlet's altogether covering lots of nations , an old friend Brian Arbery had them all.
Old 20-04-20, 04:50 PM

Did the Waring pamphlets ever get republished?

Jerry
Old 20-04-20, 05:26 PM

I have a re-print of number 1 dated 1982. The forward says it had been out of print for many years.
Old 20-04-20, 05:50 PM

Aren't they listed in as available and priced in every edition of "The Formation Sign"?
I havn't got any but should get them, most of them anyway.
Old 20-04-20, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the replies, I am not a member and do not get the magazine. I would like to get a copy of no1 if possible

Jerry
Old 21-04-20, 11:04 AM

Just found this revived thread. As has been said all thirteen pamphlets have been reprinted and the titles are listed below. The society's Vice President Mrs Joy Waring has expressed her wish that copies of her husband's work are only available to Society Members but as the Annual UK Subscription is just £17 - for which you get four 12-page full colour bulletins - membership for one year allows you access to all the Pamphlets. And you might decide to stay.

The quarterly version now in preparation marks the birth 80 years ago of the Local Defence Volunteers and the 75th Anniversary of VE day.

You can join on line at www.militaryheraldrysociety.com

For any other enquiries PM me.

Jon

WARING PAMPHLETS PRICE LIST
No 1 is £10, Nos 2-13 are £7 each
No 1 - British Regular and Territorial.
No 2 – Additions to No1 plus British Indian Army, Polish Forces, World War I, Home Guard, Cadets, Commandos, RM, RN, RAF, ROC, ATC, National Titles, Civil Defence, Welfare Services.
No 3 - Commonwealth Military Forces Part 1 with Additions to Nos1, 2 & 3.
No 4 - Commonwealth Military Forces Part 2 and Republic of Ireland.
No 5 - US Army.
No 6 - US Forces; USMC, USN, USAAF, National Guard, CAP etc.
No7 – US Cadets, ROTC etc.
No8 – Far Eastern Forces excluding the Commonwealth.
No9 – Europe from Austria to Greece.
No10 – Europe from Italy to Turkey.
No11- Latin America, Africa and the, Middle East.
No12 – Additions to Pamphlets 1-7 and 9-11 inc British.
No13 – Additions to Pamphlet No 7 – Far East.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pag 81.jpg (54.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg WW1 Sample 1.jpg (44.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 21-04-20, 11:20 AM

thanks for the update Jon.

Jerry