British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-21, 05:05 AM

Default Origins of the iconic Lemon squeezer display.

I have posted this on a local group chat, but think its worthy of posting here as well-

Today was the monthly meeting of the Wellington Antique Arms and display letters were L, O and P.
So my display was "Lemon squeezer Origins solved with Photographic evidence."

Left of the ceremonial hat are 4 WW1 squeezers of the Wellington Battalion NZEF of which 2 are British made and 2 are NZ made, and 4 WW2 squeezers to the right of which 2 are British made and 2 are NZ made.

For those lemon squeezer purists there is one anomaly with one of my squeezers, but most wont know the difference.

Lemon Squeezer collection 2021.jpg
Old 05-04-21, 12:20 AM

The very small Lemon Squeezer beside the central one
Old 08-04-21, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiseboyz3 View Post
The very small Lemon Squeezer beside the central one
Well spotted, definitely an anomaly, but not the one I was thinking of.
Old 08-04-21, 10:53 AM

Amazing display, thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

A
Old 11-04-21, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AATTV View Post
Amazing display, thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

A
Thankyou, the display generated a lot of interest on the day, as it is the first time in 50 years that the origins of the New Zealand lemon squeezer is finally solved.
Old 11-04-21, 02:29 PM

Anomaly - Trim around the brim of the hat sitting on the box?

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 12-04-21, 12:41 AM

The forum’s downsampling of the resolution make it bit difficult to see finer detail but here are the anomalies I see:

1) As Phillip stated, brim edging on ceremonial squeezer. Can’t quite tell—as one faces photo—if squeezer on right has brim edging.

2) As one faces photo, squeezer right of ceremonial squeezer is only one with a cloth/bullion badge vs metal or it’s a metal badge with cloth backing.

3) As one faces photo, right of ceremonial squeezer, the 2nd right squeezer’s entire pagri is darker than the other squeezer’s pagris. Also this one’s top is more pointed, looks taller, and looks to have a slightly different shape than the rest. Other than the ceremonial squeezer, this is only squeezer with its badge on its pagri.

4) Squeezer directly in front of #3 is only one that has a formation flash (blue) at 9:00 from its badge. I suspect this is the true anomaly, as I think generally only bush hats had flashes and/or badges.

5) Ceremonial squeezer is the only one with an AA badge and looks like it’s shape is more rigidly defined and like it’s made from a different material.

6) Resolution is too low to determine if all have vent grommets at 9:00 & 3:00 from badges.

Nice collection!

Jay

Last edited by SemperFi; 12-04-21 at 01:24 AM. Reason: clarifications
Old 12-04-21, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
The forum’s downsampling of the resolution make it bit difficult to see finer detail but here are the anomalies I see:

1) As Phillip stated, brim edging on ceremonial squeezer. Can’t quite tell—as one faces photo—if squeezer on right has brim edging.

2) As one faces photo, squeezer right of ceremonial squeezer is only one with a cloth/bullion badge vs metal or it’s a metal badge with cloth backing.

3) As one faces photo, right of ceremonial squeezer, the 2nd right squeezer’s entire pagri is darker than the other squeezer’s pagris. Also this one’s top is more pointed, looks taller, and looks to have a slightly different shape than the rest. Other than the ceremonial squeezer, this is only squeezer with its badge on its pagri.

4) Squeezer directly in front of #3 is only one that has a formation flash (blue) at 9:00 from its badge. I suspect this is the true anomaly, as I think generally only bush hats had flashes and/or badges.

5) Ceremonial squeezer is the only one with an AA badge and looks like it’s shape is more rigidly defined and like it’s made from a different material.

6) Resolution is too low to determine if all have vent grommets at 9:00 & 3:00 from badges.

Nice collection!

Jay
(1) The ceremonial squeezer is New Zealand made and was only recently retired thru army stores, it is only fitting that a ceremonial squeezer should have a quality brim edging.
The WW2 squeezer on the right is 27th (NZMGC) Battalion. I suspect it is British made and belonged to an officer, it does have remnants of brim edging.

(2) The squeezer right of ceremonial squeezer is a NZ Army Permanent Staff, rank either Colonel or Brigadier. It is British made and dated 1940.

(3) The squeezer far right with black puggaree is 1st NZ Army Tank Brigade 1941 to 1944.
WW1 and WW2 felt hats were generally issued in a plain dome shape, it was up to the owner to apply the 4 dents, some are worked into tall peaks, others don’t have a lot of effort put into them.

(4) A squeezer with 27th Battalion Jayforce patches is very rare, given the standard headwear issue for Jayforce was the General Service hat, so most likely belonged to an officer and used for ceremonial duties.

(5) The badge is Queens crown NZ General Service Onward badge in gilt metal.

(6) Best I could do with phone camera in one hand, coffee in other hand and people forever walking in front of you.
As for eyelet vents, these generally only feature on WW1 & WW2 British made squeezers.

So no anomalies here, just good honest squeezers

Lemon Squeezer collection 2021 b.jpg
2008-02-04 010.jpg
2008-02-04 012.jpg
Old 12-04-21, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
For those lemon squeezer purists there is one anomaly with one of my squeezers, but most wont know the difference.
Atillathenunns, none of the squeezers had an anomaly that only purists will know?

Thank you for your detailed answers to my observations—awesome! Likewise, thanks for your additional photos—nice! I always enjoy learning new things from forum members.

I’m a period cap/hat fan and really enjoy seeing badges and flashes on their headwear because, for me, it puts badges and flashes in their original context. Again, many thanks for sharing your collection and knowledge!

Jay
Old 13-04-21, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Atillathenunns, none of the squeezers had an anomaly that only purists will know?

Thank you for your detailed answers to my observations—awesome! Likewise, thanks for your additional photos—nice! I always enjoy learning new things from forum members.

I’m a period cap/hat fan and really enjoy seeing badges and flashes on their headwear because, for me, it puts badges and flashes in their original context. Again, many thanks for sharing your collection and knowledge!

Jay
There is no anomaly with any of the 4 WW2 squeezers on the right, or the modern ceremonial squeezer in the center, but there is an anomaly with one of the Wellington Battalion WW1 squeezers on the left.

Every thing I have learned is from other collectors who have taken the time to share their information, we have simply come full circle.
Old 24-04-21, 05:23 AM

Tomorrow members of the Wellington branch NZA&HAA are putting together an ANZAC display for the RSA/Petone Working Men’s Club.

My first contribution for the display is a WW1 Service Dess Cap worn by Private George Ernest Richardson, 8/2307.

Richardson originally served in the 5th Wellington Regiment (A Company, No. 1 Platoon), which was sent to Samoa in August 1914. When the 5th Wellington Regiment returned to New Zealand in 1915, rather than wait and join the NZ Rifle Brigade that was formed from members of the 5th Regiment, Richardson transferred to the 10th North Otago Regiment and embarked with the 4th Reinforcements.

Richardson landed on Gallipoli on the 8th June 1915, and was wounded on Chunuk Bair on the 8th August 1915. After recovering from his wounds, Richardson rejoined his unit in March 1916 and embarked for France the following month. On the 16th September 1916, Richardson was again wounded in action and sent back to New Zealand in November 1916.

My second contribution is a NZMR lance pennant which was battle damaged at El Mazar in September 1917.

10th North Otago Regiment, Private George Ernest Richardson 8-2307, 4th Reinforcements.jpg
10th North Otago Regiment, Private George Ernest Richardson 8-2307, 4th Reinforcements...jpg
NZMR lance pennant battle damage El Mazar 16th - 17th September 1917.jpg
NZMR lance pennant battle damage El Mazar 16th - 17th September 1917..jpg
Old 25-04-21, 02:00 AM

If you were to do a Google search for “History of the Lemon Squeezer hat,” you will find there are several different opinions as to its early origins.

Number 6 in the Google search is an article on the National Interest website by Peter Suciu, an author of several books on military headgear including A Gallery of Military Headdress.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...%9D-hat-173062

Suciu states that. —
“When the first New Zealand units arrived on the Gallipoli peninsula during the First World War they were easy to spot as they were the only ones wearing a unique campaign hat—known to some as the “Lemon Squeezer” due to its iconic shape.”

The first myth is that New Zealanders arrived on the Gallipoli peninsula wearing Lemon Squeezers.
New Zealanders landed on Gallipoli wearing the British style Service Dress Cap as pictured in post # 11.

The following is a ‘25th April 1915’ extract from the Diary of Spencer Westmacott, platoon commander of the 16th Waikato Company aboard the Lutzow, flagship of Major General Sir Alexander Godley. —
“All fully equipped we now went below to the troop decks and inspected our men who had fallen in and were awaiting us. All ranks were in caps like the British infantry. This applied to the Australians too, being a Corps Order. We had noted with disapproval that when 3rd Auckland went ashore a few men wore hats; but their discipline was slack.”

The second myth is that the New Zealanders were easy to spot as the only ones wearing a unique campaign hat.
The Wellington Infantry company’s were generally the only ones to wear the Lemon Squeezer shape on Gallipoli, The rest of the New Zealanders on Gallipoli continued to wear the SD caps or Mounted Rifle hats, which makes them difficult to spot when mixed with Australians in photos.

The following ‘25th April 1915’ picture shows New Zealanders being towed, as can be seen they are wearing Service dress caps.

New Zealand’s Roll of Honour 1915 page 98.jpg
New Zealand’s Roll of Honour 1915 page 98 close up.jpg
Old 25-04-21, 03:46 AM

Hi Brent

Thanks for sharing your items and knowledge with us.

Cheers

John
Old 26-04-21, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woronora View Post
Hi Brent

Thanks for sharing your items and knowledge with us.

Cheers

John
John, its always good to get the toys out and show them off, and to me it doesn't get much better than proving the historians and book writers have been getting it wrong for the last 50 years.

Cheers
Brent