British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-08, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Canadian Sporran Badges

Not much has been posted on Canadian sporran badges. To start a string on these badges, here is an image of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada sporran badge. It is in brass, and has three lugs, two east-west and one north.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seaforth highlanders sporran.jpg (30.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 23-12-08, 10:36 PM

The 85th normally used the cap badges on their sporan of which there were three types of spoarn OR's, NCO,s and officers. I always assumed incorrectly that the O.R.s wore a one peice badge and all the NCO's wore the two peice and the officers wore the three peice badges. I have a few sporans and since I purchased a large lot of Highland Brigade photos and from some of my reference books have noted some exceptions.

The OR's generally wore a sporan with a Black leather cantle with a single peice badge the same as the cap badge. The NCO's wore a sporan with a silver top with those under the rank od Sgt. wearing a single peice badge like the OR's and Sgt's haveing a two peice badge brass with white metal overlay. The officers version sporan is a silver top with etched thisles on either side of the badge which is a three peice version same as the cap.

There is one exception to this though I have noted a number of example of the sporan with a private purchase 2 peice badge which is different from any other 85th badge. I have only noted this badge on OR's and NCO's sporans The notable differences are:

The overlay is solid not voided like the standard cap badge overlays.
The badge is slightly larger then the cap badge
The stem is of a different shape
The brass part of the badge is not stamped like the badge but flat when seen from the back.
The lugs are longer.

I have included a photo of this badge anyone seeing this badge will beable to pick it out right away without difficulty. it is not known to be faked and is rather hard to find. I do have two examples in my collection one is a documented badge which is on a named OR's sporan which was part of a uniform grouping to the same man the second is one I bought loose.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01320.JPG (88.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01321.jpg (31.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 24-12-08, 04:13 AM

Photos to follow this post, If I can find them in this mess I like to call a hard drive. This Irish Regiment of Canada ORs Stepping out sporran, horsehair with two tassels, used the ORs Cap Badge. The ORs Day sporran, plain pebbled leather, used a MAid of Erin Harp.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 11-03-09, 03:49 PM

Default Seaforth Sporran Badge

Interesting Sporran Badge for the Seaforth, I have one myself. I have always been curious about this badge specifically, as it was never worn that I know of. I have questioned all the avid collectors in the regiment itself and the overall consensus is that this badge was issued at the same time as the much hated "1923" version OR's cap badge, which was flat with the coronet and cypher. There are no photo's anywhere in the archives, which are extensive, showing the badge being worn. By photographic record, the Regiment, including the Pipes and Drums have only worn the brass Stag and Scroll for OR's (seperate peices) for the OR's on a black patent leather cantle, and officers and SNCO's have the different white metal or silver Stags with thistle laurels. If anyone has any other I deas on this badge specific I would appreciate it.
Old 13-03-09, 02:00 AM

Default Pictou Highlanders

2-piece Pictou Highlanders sporran badge, per Mazeas. Appears to be silver plated, as the lugs are plated as well. Also, has what looks like remains of oxblood boot polish on the reverse. Did highlanders polish their sporrans?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M117b_PictouSporran_Soltess.jpg (44.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 18-03-09, 04:56 AM

Default Polishing of Sporrans

Seaforth of C Sporrans are always shone, the OR's cantles are not black patent leather but might appear so when polished appropriatelly, all brass items highly shone as well. This includes the Leather purse (SNCO/Off type as well as the OR's) which are spit shone in Oxblood, no devices or badges on these.
Old 28-04-09, 05:56 PM

While on the subject of Seaforth sporran badges I have a question. Is anyone familier with the last badge pictured? The badge fits the cantel perfectly and the badge has two screw post fasteners. The first is an officers, the second a senior NCOs and the third an ORs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0490.jpg (69.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0492.jpg (73.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0491.jpg (74.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0489.jpg (94.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 28-04-09, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Kammer, Not sure exactly what you are asking? The last badge is the 72nd Regiment Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, pre 1914, and worn by the 72nd Battalion CEF.
Old 14-04-11, 09:21 PM

Hi all, attached is a PPCLI sporran badge. This appears to be a typical band badge (large) attached to the cantle of the sporran. I picked this image off a eBay auction (I think) for my files. If anyone knows where the image came from please let me know so that I can attribute it to that person.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPCLI_badge_on_sporran.jpg (35.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 14-04-11, 11:25 PM

Hi all, attached is a officers' sporran badge for the 48th Highlanders of Canada. The reverse has 2 screw posts and tiny spinning bolts. It's in cast silver metal without any marks.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48.jpg (71.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 15-04-11, 12:12 AM

Officers' sporran badge of The Canadian Scottish Regiment.
Mistakenly assumed to be an officer's cap badge of the 2nd Battalion.
Hallmarked 1928. The 2nd Battalion was not authorized until 1930.
I have seen this badge on officers' sporrans.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CdnScotM77c3.jpg (39.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 15-04-11, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, I was going over the question about the LSR collars/sporran, and in Mazeas, a badge very similar to the one you have illustrated is shown. It is labelled as a sporran, but it has LSSR across the leaf.
Here are the pair of matched collars from my accumulation. They are marked J.R.Gaunt London on the reverse. There is an "S" at the top of the leaf on the reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0225.jpg (79.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-05-11, 05:38 AM

This is the last sporran badge I have in my collection. I believe it is a current issue Seaforth HIghlanders of Canada as the metal it is some form of anodised metal.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sporran2.jpg (65.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-05-11, 11:12 AM
1stmotors

Default SSF sporran badge

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Last edited by 1stmotors; 22-06-11 at 11:02 AM.