British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-20, 11:56 PM

Default Establishment / ORBAT of an Imperial Yeomanry Regiment

Folks, I have been trying to work out the establishment of an Imperial Yeomanry regiment for the period 1901 - 08.

For the Essex IY I have ascertained that on formation it was established at 27 officers and 569 other ranks, later with an MG section of 1+16 added, and that by 1905 this had been reduced to 476 all ranks (coincidentally I read in the latest MHS journal that 476 was applied to all Yeomanry regiments in 1904).

So I know the total size, but not the disposition within.. would anyone have a more detailed breakdown of those figures for a 4x Squadron Yeo regiment..?

I have been able to find similar for the 1915 war establishment of a Yeo unit which gives some clues but nothing firm, but I've not found anything for prior to that date.
Old 23-02-20, 10:56 AM

According to Fox's 'Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry 1898-1902', when the Yeomanry was reorganised into the Imperial Yeomanry in April 1901, the establishment for each IY regiment was set at "593 all ranks, organised in four squadrons, with a machine gun section. The establishment of officers was fixed at 23, including both a regimental Adjutant and a Quartermaster."
Fox goes on to say that the establishment under the 1908 "Territorial Scheme" was 25 officers and 449 other ranks, total 474, with 430 horses.
Doesn't add much more to what you've got, but hopefully helps a bit!
Clive
Old 23-02-20, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckford View Post
According to Fox's 'Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry 1898-1902', when the Yeomanry was reorganised into the Imperial Yeomanry in April 1901, the establishment for each IY regiment was set at "593 all ranks, organised in four squadrons, with a machine gun section. The establishment of officers was fixed at 23, including both a regimental Adjutant and a Quartermaster."
Fox goes on to say that the establishment under the 1908 "Territorial Scheme" was 25 officers and 449 other ranks, total 474, with 430 horses.
Doesn't add much more to what you've got, but hopefully helps a bit!
Clive
That does, thank you Clive. Similar numbers.

For Essex, the MG section was added a few months after formation (in June '02) taking it to over 600 all ranks.

I am assuming from 1905 each Sqn was around 110 all ranks with the balance in RHQ but would like to be able to pin that down more accurately.

It is further complicated in that the Essex had a band too which was held on the strength of one of the Sqns - not clear whether they were against established musician positions or were borrowed.

The 1915 data I have seen gives a lot more detail but war establishment was for three not four Sqns which muddies things :-)

Hopefully someone has a 'template' structure out there!
Old 24-02-20, 11:06 AM

This is not quite in the date range you are looking for info on, but it may be of use – taken from the 1909 Territorial Year Book:

PEACE-TIME establishment of TF Yeomanry REGIMENT:
4 squadrons and machine gun section, 25 officers (1 Lt.Col, 5 Majors, 4 Capts, 13 Lts (or 2/Lts), 1 QM, 1 Adjt (Permanent Staff), 449 ORs (37 Sgts (inc staff and other sgts), 2 orderly-room clerks, 8 trumpeters, 25 corporals, 16 shoeing-smiths, 4 saddlers, 352 Ptes (inc. 12 signallers and 5 sergeant-instructors (permanent staff). Total all ranks 474, pus 2 medical officers and 1 veterinary officer.
Each SQUADRON comprised 5 officers (1 Major, 1 Capt and 3 Lts (or 2/Lts)), 106 ORs (3 Staff Sgts, 5 Sgts, 2 Trumpeters, 6 Corporals, 4 Shoeing-Smiths, 1 Saddler, 85 Ptes (84 ony in 2 squadrons) and 1 Sgt-Instructor (permanent staff).
MACHINE GUN SECTION: 1 officer (Lt or 2/Lt) , 16 ORs (1 Sgt, 1 Cpl, 14 Ptes).

WAR ESTABLISHMENT:
HQ plus attached troops, 3 squadrons and machine-gun section,
HQ: 4 officers, 25 ORs, and transport (1 vehicle, 2 drivers, 2 horses), plus attached 2 officers, 10 ORs and 18 horses, plus attached 2nd line transport (7 vehicles, 7 drivers and 13 horses)
SQUADRON: 6 officers, 134 ORs, 138 horses, and transport (2 vehicles, 2 drivers and 2 horses)
MACHINE GUN SECTION: 1 officer, 20 ORs, 24 horses and transport (4 vehicles, 4 drivers, 8 horses)
Total war-time establishment: 25 officers, 457 ORS, 474 horses and transport (18 vehicles, 19 drivers and 35 horses)
The attached drivers are from the ASC. Sgts and ORs attached from RAMC. Medical and Veterinary Officers also attached.