British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-16, 03:28 PM

Default British Troops in Austria

Post VE Day, British Troops in Austria inherited Eighth Army's well known sign, but has the version with Gothic (?) letters BTA ever been seen as a cloth sign, or seen painted on a vehicle?
British Troops Austria.01.jpgBritish Troops Austria.02.jpg
Old 02-03-16, 04:58 PM

HI Mike , thanks for showing, may be it was manufactured by a German jewler / craftsman who just happened to use gothic script with out really thinking as he had been for the last 13 years or so making nazi shields ??
Old 02-03-16, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
HI Mike , thanks for showing, may be it was manufactured by a German jewler / craftsman who just happened to use gothic script with out really thinking as he had been for the last 13 years or so making nazi shields ??
Could be. The photograph was taken in the Museum of Army Transport, Leconfield about 20 year ago - I think it the design was painted on a metal rectangular plate - possibly once part of a unit signboard. Mike
Old 03-03-16, 12:34 AM

My Dad was part of the BTA between 1951 & 1952 - with the Warwicks at Hawkesworth Barracks, Graz (formerly SS-Kaserne Wetzelsdorf (Waffen-SS Wetzelsdorf barracks)).

Unfortunately, I can only find two photos that show the formation sign, & both are rather grainy & indistinct - that said, there doesn't seem to be anything much written across the centre of the badge that I can make out.
Old 03-03-16, 06:47 AM

Many thanks. It looks like a Vienna Garrison (?) sign on the left and the unadorned BTA on the right. Mike
Old 03-03-16, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Many thanks. It looks like a Vienna Garrison (?) sign on the left and the unadorned BTA on the right. Mike
The left hand sign is actually the Midland Brigade (to which belonged the Warwicks (the 'VI') & the Lincolns (the 'X'), both of whom my Dad served with post-war).
Old 16-11-16, 02:31 PM

We were in those barracks in 53, 1st green Howard's and it was BTA3 post.
Old 17-11-16, 10:42 PM

My father - also a Royal Warwick, an officer - was briefly attached to HQ BTA when en route to Palestine in 1947. He remembered wearing the Allied Commission Austria badge, but admitted that his memory was fuzzy nearly 40 years later.

By means of a parallel, in the film The Third Man (which got its uniform details right) Trevor Howard's character Major Calloway is a 7th Hussar, wearing Royal Armoured Corps shoulder titles - and the "8th Army" style formation sign, not/not the ACA version. Yet, when he drives away from Holly Martens at the end the jeep has an ACA badge painted on it...
Old 17-11-16, 11:43 PM

Logic would dictate that the letters were in gothic script so the locals could figure out whom they had to deal with?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 18-11-16, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Logic would dictate that the letters were in gothic script so the locals could figure out whom they had to deal with?

Rgds, Thomas.
Please don't forget that if someone doesn't speak our lingo a true Englishman will assist in their comprehension BY...SHOUTING...LOUDLY...AND...SLOWLY!

Stephen.
Old 22-11-16, 04:01 PM

I live in Vienna and also spend a lot of time at my property in Styria (which was British occupied post war) so have always been interested in cloth insignia worn by allied troops whilst in Austria. I've got an ACA armband that I shall post up when I get home. I've also got some interesting international patrol US Helmets with MP insignia on. Did UK MPs wear any insignia on their helmets does anyone know?
Old 22-11-16, 04:28 PM

I think that the CMP personnel working in BTA dressed as per these members of the Quadripartite Patrols in the centre of Vienna. Unlike the other three nations involved the British have never been too keen on steel helmets except when absolutely necessary. Mike
ACA Austria_Quadripartite Patrol.jpg
Old 22-11-16, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I think that the CMP personnel working in BTA dressed as per these members of the Quadripartite Patrols in the centre of Vienna. Unlike the other three nations involved the British have never been too keen on steel helmets except when absolutely necessary. Mike
Attachment 160103
Or the helmet liners frequently worn by the US GIs.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 22-11-16 at 08:18 PM.
Old 22-11-16, 05:41 PM

More Military Police in Vienna - CMP remain in caps whilst the other nations cannot make up their minds!
ACA MP.jpgMilitary Police_Vienna.jpg
Old 22-11-16, 07:10 PM

KD in Austria, that's a new one on me!!.