British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-09-10, 11:31 PM

Default RE badges on G.S. caps

Did any Royal Engineer units during World War II use a black cloth square behind the cap badge? Also, did all G.S. cap badges tend to have lugs rather than sliders? Sliders don't see to work very well on such a floppy cap.
Old 08-09-10, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

The badges were still on sliders but there were retaining clips issued. There is thread on them somewhere.

Alan
Old 08-09-10, 07:49 AM
Banned

Hi Matt,

As far as lugged RE badges go, for the period in question I have never seen one and all the examples I have ever come across are slidered.

That said I do have two FS caps both from ORs of the period that show signs of having had lugged or bladed badges attached at some point as well sliders.

I am assuming that these were probable later or unofficial additions of officers badges unless anyone can tell me otherwise.

As far as the black patch, again I can only assume that this may have been particular to a higher formation of which the RE where attached and know of no offficial RE sanction for this.

I hope this is of some help and look forward to seeing if other members are able to add any confirmation of either point.

Regards
Ry
Old 08-09-10, 08:12 AM
Banned

Default Retaining clips

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your info,

Just had a look at the threads on retaining clips.

I'll send a link to Engr9266 to see if he has any info on the black patch.

Matt,

Here's an original RE badge with its clip in place.

Regards Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-06-12 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 10:14 AM

Default RE & G.S. CAP BLACK PATCH

What do you mean when you say G.S. cap? Do you mean the khaki cap with peak that was worn from WW 1 until the issue of the beret?
IMO no patches were worn on this hat but could have been on the beret. This may have been a unit distinction, a means to identify senior recruits or used by RE Coys or regiments in armoured units/divs before the issue of black/dark berets to show off the chrome/white metal badges that appeared for use.
This is theory on my part and if anyone can show pictures etc this would help.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 08-09-10, 11:15 AM
Banned

Hi all,

Jerry I think the cap that Matt is refering to is the Cap G.S which was a forerunner to the beret.

I beleive that it proved to be less than popular in use probably due to its sheer size and the amount of material it was constructed from. (same sort of dimensions as an S tank)! with which you'll be familiar!

For other members, an S tank is used by the Royal Engineers for water supply in the field and is similar to a very large paddling pool made from strong black rubber.

Regards
Ry
Old 08-09-10, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the info! Yep, I'm talking about the big floppy General Service Cap that replaced the Field Service cap late in the war.

That cap badge retainer that fits over the slider is certainly new to me!
Old 08-09-10, 04:33 PM

Default RE badge backing

I have an RE GviR cap badge on a red/blue backing, whether this was from a G/S cap or a beret I do not know, it is the usual RE red with two blue stripes.
Old 09-09-10, 06:21 AM

There is a good discussion on the GS cap, badges and the clips in

Davis, BL, 1983, British Army Uniforms and Insignia of World War Two, Arms and Armour Press, London.

Badges with "privately" removed sliders and with substituted lugs etc are a fairly common response to the problem. After the war, there were patches added to the insides of berets.